Re: 71 Ex-Danbury, the home straight.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• red

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • beige

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • blue

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • other...

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
creationblue said:
Someones been a busy boy! Nice engine work 8)

its getting there slowly, should have all my tinware back and be able to get the engine built up and back in next weekend if all goes according to plan.

Bits and pieces done this weekend. I have a working horn, a shiny new steering wheel and this...

5284f888-a58e-a0f9.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

wow, i haven't done anything for a while, been a bit out of the loop recently, plus I'm still waiting on some bits and pieces i ordered...

might get the engine back in before too long.
on the upside, i may have bought a house with a decent double garage sized hole (she calls it a garden, i call it a waste) next to it.

2012-04-28144617.jpg

theres your thousand words...

got it running this evening after one or two teething troubles, just got to sort out the fine adjustments, timing and carbs and then i can start fiddling with things that might actually get seen. :roll:

well, after sorting all my shit out today i decided to make some noise, first time its fired since it came out, and first time its run on all 4 since 2009 not perfect but good times.

and just for the hell of it.
2012-04-30204843.jpg

:D

i intend to be able to at the very least drive this van at some point this summer,

engine runs, its booked in tomorrow on the rolling road, so i should have the twins tuned up, and as a bonus ill know how many ponies I'm pushing with :D

I may also have ordered some dropped spindles to go with my horseshoes, so when i get a weekend off with nowhere to go i can FINALLY begin the search for the ultimate lows.

I need to ask my stepmother very nicely now if she can make my interior for me, any advice on which type of alcohol says 'pretty pretty please' the loudest?

one of those days...

everything i did today went wrong, Ems wanted her new stereo putting in so i took the old one out and fiddled with some wiring to figure out the french electrics. then when i knew what we needed to make it work, the car wouldn't start. numb nuts here hadn't disconnected the battery and blew 2 fuses.

then i got the van ready to go off to the dyno and despite running fine the other day i couldn't leave it alone could i, had a quick fiddle and it all went to pot, no fuel getting through and now iv sorted that everything had bedded in nicely, including the PITA manifolds, which now means i have an air leak, and to make things just that little bit better its running on 3 again...

so after the nice AA man towed me home shoved some fuses in the pug and laughed about how nice the van would be if it worked, I called it a day.

I blame the manfluenza. :sick0026:

:suicide:

Right iv decided to let someone else sort this one out for me, iv just got too much on atm. does anyone know of a good engine builder near to york? it would be nice if they could come and save me the ball ache of taking the engine out myself, yet again, but thats just wishful thinking.

so, any ideas?

It's alive!!!!!!

new lecky fuel pump on, 3.5psi constant and its a thousand times better, the mechanical pump must have been choking the carbs with far too much fuel.

I'v been told that with the lecky ignition i need a ballast coil... any ideas?

A bit of wire tidying and it will look perfect.

5284f9c9-bb9b-22f7.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Well went out to friends house to see what was what. It shifts like never before. Only went a mile up the road but figured out the noise pedal didn't have a spring, so mengineered one from a coat hanger. Then found a heavy duty carb spring and up rated mine, since the cable is a bit sticky. So symptom treated and cause ignored :oops:
Tweaked the mixture and admired the handy work over a brew.

Looks a lot better when its not on my drive.
5284f9c9-fb44-7776.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

antoine said:
It's alive!!!!!!

new lecky fuel pump on, 3.5psi constant and its a thousand times better, the mechanical pump must have been choking the carbs with far too much fuel.

I believe you need a 3 ohm coil with electronic ignition...but I stuck two fingers up to the rules and ran a 2.89 ohm coil on mine and it was ok :lol: :msn4:

moler said:
antoine said:
It's alive!!!!!!

I believe you need a 3 ohm coil with electronic ignition...but I stuck two fingers up to the rules and ran a 2.89 ohm coil on mine and it was ok :lol: :msn4:

cheers, i just decided to keep the bosch blue. which went well right up until i tried to start it yesterday morning and it won't idle again. :evil:

well, i decided to have a play with the carbs to get it idling again,
it didn't take long so i fettled the door cards so they would all fit properly when they are covered, and also fitted these that i covered last night
2012-06-05140118.jpg

2012-06-05140145.jpg

2012-06-05140214.jpg

bloody shitty weather. :evil:

ran around picking up some bits this morning then threw back the cover when the sun came out and started putting in some dials so i can keep an eye on things and get used to how everything should run... i might actually get chance to drive this thing some day, 4 and a half years of ownership and iv probably done less that 200 miles.

anyway, thought id hide the dials away so i can see them when i need to but cover them up when i want to look stock :roll:

2012-06-09153915.jpg

might stop me filling the glove box with shit.

2012-06-09153925.jpg

and then wired them to the headlight switch.
2012-06-09160752.jpg

2012-06-09160825.jpg

well...

i went to the rolling road, the timing got re-set... again and after a bit of fiddling we came to the conclusion there is something wrong, its idling on cylinders 3 and 4, but not 1 or 2, but when you get the revs up the other two kick in, it sometimes sounds like its missing at higher revs. so we tried a compression test on no.1 and it was very low.
And i went off to fair bank and craven in scarborough (couldn't help much since so busy but great blokes)
they gave me some workshop space to fiddle with stuff and plenty of time and assistance they probably couldn't afford with their days job list.
the timing was re-set... yet again, and the carbs accused of being the problem, not in the sense that they need setting up, but more that they have never seen a set that worked properly.

so after tweaking things enough to get me home i headed off.

through the gears it was a bit slow, and when the power is let off then put back on it gets a bit jumpy, but then smooths out.

50 mph is registering as about 3000revs,

and I'm slowly loosing the will to live...

after a short stop off for a cup of tea we thought the issue could be with the coil since its at least 30 years old, has a couple of live feeds taken off for ignition controlled gubbins (fuel cut off and pump) and its the two longer HT leads that are struggling, but numb nuts here fiddled with wires and made things stop working so i couldn't check the spark strength. i will sort out the wiring back to the right place and get it going on friday but i just want it to run properly now. any ideas or assistance would be greatly received.

well on a lighter note than my threads about engine woes.
the gourmet burger kitchen is great, just don't treat the build your own style menu as a challenge...
2012-06-12191530.jpg

and if your considering whitewalls, go for it.
2012-06-11124451.jpg

2012-06-11104952.jpg

and just because it looks good, even though it doesn't work.
2012-06-18165247.jpg

Latest posts