Plumbers - there are some good ones out there

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marriedblonde

Reaction score
Typically as the weather gets colder oil boiler breaks. Called out a plumber yesterday (or heating engineer) he couldn't fix it as he needed to order some parts and said he would be back in the morning.

Woke up this morning to 4" of snow, freezing cold house, no hot water, 2 young kids. Bugger!

I live out in the sticks, as soon as it snows the roads get blocked due to strandaed cars so normally end up being house bound until it thaws.

Bugger me, 8.30 the door goes and its the plumber with the parts. He was up and out at at the crack of dawn bits from the depot so he could fix out heating for us. Took him a couple of hours to travel the 15 miles from his home-depot-mine.

Best bit, he spent a couple of hours trying to fix the boiler yesterday, and another hour this morning. And only charged me £200 for the lot including parts.

And I have heating and hot water :)

It appears while we only hear about the rogue traders there are some decent trades people out there doing a good good for a more than fair price.

I bet the mercs weren't parked in the driveway when he came or the bill would have been double. :lol:

With work being so hard to come by these days I'm sure that many of the actually skilled workers are putting extra effort in to build reputation.
Beats having some snotty college graduate turn up picking his arse whilst tweeting then hanging round all day just to say 'yeah it's proper fucked!'

aspro said:
I bet the mercs weren't parked in the driveway when he came or the bill would have been double. :lol:

Lol yes they were and my bus was out yesterday. But he parked at front and the other 3 cars were parked out the back so he may not have noticed... i was very quick to say i had been unemployed for 2 months ;-)

Bigbear said:
With work being so hard to come by these days I'm sure that many of the actually skilled workers are putting extra effort in to build reputation.
Beats having some snotty college graduate turn up picking his arse whilst tweeting then hanging round all day just to say 'yeah it's proper fucked!'

Checkatrade is brilliant, use it all the time for trades people. So far we have done really well with really good people. Plus we always make sure we give proper, honest feedback in return.

Years ago we had a sparky round from a recommendation to sort the heating, by the plumber. He spent 4 hours ripping all the wiring out. It was a 15 minute job...

Latest posts