Old mother tucker

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krusty

Reaction score
Thought I would introduce me and my first aircooled toy, Im Luke, ive always had VW's and finaly a few months ago I got 1968 single cab pick up.
It was imported from Sweden, needs a bit of attention but its not in too bad condition.
My aim is to get the body solid, get every thing working as it should then slam it on the floor!

This is how it looked when I got it.
020-3.jpg

First thing I had to do was put a fresh engine as the 1500 that it came with was very tired, so for now I got a cheap 1600sp in, the plan is to get a nice 1641 twin port early next year.
Once the engine was in I got a set of hoops & bows and a canvas made up locally so we took it camping at whitenoise vw show and slept in the back.

010-3.jpg

Next up I wanted to go back to original steel wheels so i got them sandblasted and then resprayed them

046.jpg

Finished them of with some primered vw hub caps from coolairvw
003-6.jpg

Then I decided to get on with the main aim, slaming the truck to the floor so the rear chassis needed a nice big C nothch, along with
t2d shocks and spring plates
006-9.jpg

057-1.jpg

Just need to get the front drop spindles changed, then i should be able to get it sitting nice and low, the back now potential to go very low. :D
Decided to make a start on the cab too, first thing i did was put a F*@K off great big tacho in, remove the plastic from the dash & make some ply door cards and I got a nice floor mat.
004-6.jpg

Did some hand painted sign writing to advertise my company
002-7.jpg

this week I cut the old bed and floor out as it had been patched up badly in the past
004-7.jpg

This is how its looking at the mo in my workshop
007-3.jpg

Any comments welcome!! Im sure I will be hasling people for help and advise as i work on it through the winter ready for next summer.
Thanks
Luke

that rocks ,much cooler on the stockies,keep up the good work ,you keeping the same colour ?

regards
chris

looking real nice there Luke.....i had one of those previously and still miss it, mine was swedish too....welcome along fella i`m only down the road in sunny ol ipswich, will pop over and see ya sometime 8)

ste

Thanks for the comments, the colour is really marmite I think, some times I look at it and like it some times I think mushy peas!
Im certainly not going down the perfect re spray route, going to keep it ratty.

Look forward to meeting you Ste, I see your a suffolkbugr!
I know a few bugrs already, Keith Mixer, and I met Chris with the mint bay and I think it was James with his blue / white splitty.

Cant wait to hit up the meets and shows next year!

Very nice and looks like a good project 8)

Looking forward to seeing this evolve ;)

Thanks a lot for all the comments!
Managed to get a good day on it yesterday, got all the old floor out and started to clean up the metal, nearly ready for some new metal to go in. :D
002-8.jpg

001-4.jpg

Hey buddy , Looks fooking nice that mate , gotta love a slammed VW commercial , Fancy some of those notches :evil:

Hi Luke,saw long haired Chris at last weeks Club autojumble meet and he told me what your doing .Looks Good, and hard work !

No truth in the rumour ? that the flat "bed" suffered when you and Hanna slept on it at Whitenoise the other month ! ? !!!

What are you using for the new bed/flooring? check the fuel gauge sender? wilst its easy to get at or is your gauge working? I can t remember, I know I m still trying to makk mine work! See you soon, rgds.keith

Hi Keith,

Haha, the bed floor was a lot worse than what I first thought,
It had been patched up with lots of fibreglass and filler over the years, so I thought now winter is kicking in I may as well replace it properly, then one thing lead to another and you not what boys are like with angle grinders & welders!!!

Any way a few weeks later and I now have a new lower floor in which I had to make myself as I couldn't find any body who sells SC floors, some massive chassis notches along with new shocks & spring plates and lots of scrap metal!

I have been trying to get hold of some proper load bed floor panels but no body has any & most have said there not being made any more so I guess it will be DIY time again.

New floor is all in. Now starting to clean all the metal up ready to get a coat of acid etch primer and base coat before I re fit the bed panels.
001-5.jpg

Bit of an update, Ive been doing about 15 - 20 hours a week on the truck for the last4 weeks and its now starting to show.

Ive trial fitted the petrol tank and removed it.
I finished fabricating the floor section that goes between the rear wheel arch's today, after a few coats acid etch primer, and coat of stone chip on the underneath side I started to weld it in.
P1020582.jpg

once this bit is finished im ready to zinc prime the lot then base coat it, then I can finally get on with the bed.

Thanks dude, im quite happy with how my welding has improved over the last month, its far from great but seems to be doing the job.
I think your not far from me, Im in Stowmarket.
Just been looking at your build, looks like you got your hands full as well!

Not far! looks like we'll be seeing Krusty on the road soon! The guy that first taught me to weld years ago with a stick welder said "A good weld is like a good shag! doesn't matter how messy it gets as long as you get deep penetration" :lol: but he wasn't wrong!

Latest posts