Non Start!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SALLYWIZ

Reaction score
Hi

Wonder if anyone can give me any pointers?

Last month we made the trip down to Newquay in our 72 crossover. Over the 10 days I happily drove around a 600 miles without any problems. On the last day we packed everything up to come home, jumped in the van and went to starter her, nothing, No dash lights, didn't turn over.

After checking a few things I thought we had lost the live feed up to the dash, couldn't get any voltage reading at the fuse box. To make sure i was getting a good earth i ran a wire straight to the neg terminal of the battery to my test light, and hey presto, id got a 12 volt feed. I couldn't get an earth off the body only direct from the battery.

I checked the earth strap on the gearbox, and neg battery lead which both seemed fine, but still wouldn't start. Basically seemed like i had lost body earth. So i ran a jump lead from the neg battery terminal, and clipped the other end on the body of the starter. She now started, but still got no power at the dash, no lights, no wipers etc, and if i disconnected the jump lead while the van was running she cut out.

Risking it, I drove the 250 miles back home with the jump lead clipped to the starter. Since we have got back I've replaced the neg battery lead, and the gearbox earth strap, and clean up all connections, but i still don't seem to be able to get an earth through the body, and she still dosn't start unless i put the jump lead from the battery to the starter, crankcase, or gearbox.

We're going to camperjam the weekend, and as much as i know we'll get there with the help of the jump lead, i want to fix her! Any ideas or pointers?

Many thanks

Latest posts