Newcomer with a 1971 bay project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Really pleased I've found this site where we can share our joys and woes in our quest to restore an old V dub.
I used to own a 1971 microbus bay which was converted by Danbury. It was one year old when I bought it and we had 10 wonderful years with it.
I've always had campervans since but I moved on to the larger LTs and converted them myself from a van.
I've been a chippie for many years and now i've retired I have converted a number of vans into campers and sports vans for various people.
I've now come across a 1971 Bay camper which is almost identical to the one I owned back in 1972. This one is a late J reg and my old one was an early K reg.
This van has a full history with it having covered 195K miles with 5 previous owners. She's been standing for the last 3 years and needs a full restoration . She is 100% original and still has the original Devon mooraker interior. She's rusty underneath though and so she will get a complete overhaul. I'm just restoring an old barn into a suitable workshop to get her under cover and do the work. I've reckoned on spending a few £ooo and probably a year to get the job done.
Anyone who's interested, can visit a website I have begun to record the progress of the makeover. I hope that I get there before I pop my clogs!
http://www.myvwbaycamperproject.co.uk

Nice website!!
Nice bus you found there too, looks like it's going to be a good resto thread!! shame you didn't keep your old one, that would have been a cool story

Hi and welcome. :D

Nice bus and nice story too!

Similarly in our family, a Danbury was bought in 1972 by my parents (new), which also was a tin-top and on a 'K' plate, but a Crossover, and based on a Kombi. Apparently its claim to fame was being the first 1700 Type 4 powered bus sold in Portsmouth! (I see you are in Havant. :) )
We kept ours until 1988.
The love always stayed with me, and my current bus is almost the twin to our old one, in being a Danbury from the same year, also a tin-top, and the same colour, with the only minor differences being that it's Microbus based, and on an 'L' plate. 8)

I look forward to following your progress!

Doug

Latest posts