New Torsion leaves, any better?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igotaholeybus

Reaction score
Evening everyone

I'm Considering buying some new torsion leaves for the van hoping it wil firm up the ride. It's a lowered van on 3 1/2 dropped spindles but we're suffering with tyre rub and the odd beam hitting the road. So has anyone noticed any difference after fitting new leaves Just kampers have a vat free weekend so I'm wondering weather I should just buy and try?

Thanks for reading my post guy's

Dan

Stiffer shock absorbers are the solution, springs wouldn’t really have much effect. Simpler to change too ;)

As Karlos says, new shocks are the answer. Gas spring assisted which will assist your torsion leaves (springs) . We’ve come across this before and discussed in detail, here’s the thread
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111&p=595634&hilit=Gurus#p595634
If you have three and a half inch drop then I’m guessing they are Transporter Haus type with reversed ball joints, the same as mine. So this will work. If your beam is hitting the deck :shock: :lol: :shock: then either you have lowered your tyres profiles or your ass is up in the afternoon air or both, so level out your bus and you don’t gonna get too much lower without changing your beam :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, funny old game innit (oh, just got back from the pub) :mrgreen: ;) :lol: ;) :mrgreen:

Thanks guy's I'll have a read through the lowering guru topic tonight. Yeah I do have the transporterhaus dropped spindles with spax adjust shocks.the rear is slightly higher
Are gas spring shocks coilovers?

Igotaholeybus said:
Thanks guy's I'll have a read through the lowering guru topic tonight. Yeah I do have the transporterhaus dropped spindles with spax adjust shocks.the rear is slightly higher
Are gas spring shocks coilovers?

Yes they are, and it’s the extra springing assistance that the coilovers give that makes it drive able because it helps the old torsion springs to be a more solid suspension so that they don’t compress as easily on bumps .

Ozziedog,,,,,,, it’s a lot to take in but a good read :mrgreen:

As you’ve already got adjustable shocks, I would say you’re best bet is to go with some coilovers. Whilst you can increase the damping effect of your shocks, all you will end up with is an over-damped standard torsion leaf setup, which will be horribly bouncy. Really, you need a stiffer spring, to which you can adjust the shock to match. New leaves are not going to be any stiffer, they will possibly just sag less. So whilst your ride height may raise a bit with new leaves, they will be just as soft as your current ones. The easiest way to stiffen the ride (which you need when lowering and tyres start hitting arches / beams start hitting the road) is to add in the coilovers which will work in conjunction with the standard leaves.

Use the Gaz thread as a basis - there’s a lot of useful info in there which means less trial and error when picking a setup that’ll work. I run these myself, but am looking at swapping to a stiffer spring than what is suggested by most as I’m still blowing through my small amount of suspension travel too fast. Winding up the damping on the shocks makes for a pogo-like ride which isn’t the most pleasant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts