my petrol tank, leave raw or POR15 ...your advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali-Bay

Reaction score
Hi all, the fuel tank in my 72 bay was badly black gunked up from old fuel due to the bus standing for a very long time.
It also had rust issues inside .......not good :(

So a week ago i dropped it off to these guys http://surfaceprocessing.co.uk/for-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; picked it up today & they have done a fantastic job with it
No rust, No black gunk & also no paint....... its totally bare metal.

Now to my question, what to do next.
Do i just paint the outside of the tank & leave the inside raw (don't think they were painted with anything from new) & im guessing it will be ok for the next 30+ years.

Or .... use POR15 tank sealer for the inside ??
Has anyone had any experience of this stuff in a fuel tank, will the petrol degrade the sealant ?? ......... i REARLY don't want to use it & then have to pull the tank again because its come away from the walls / clogging up my fuel lines.

What do you advise folks , POR or leave it raw :?:

They were originally coated internally with a varnish and this will have been the black gunk residue which does come away after time....

your tank will eventually corrode without something internally especially if it sits for any time....

the por 15 is good but its all in the prep....

I treated the inside of my '66 Beetle tank with some of this stuff - think it might have been called Petseal - dunno - anyway- I reccommend it - as long as after pouring it in you keep the tank rotating round while the stuff is drying off. It binds all loose surface rust.
That was in 2000.
Never had any trouble with it since and would do it again.
Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your advice on this one, its a time consuming job + all the expense so i really didn't want to do it all twice.
Ive had a few recommendations now so tomorrow & Monday i will use the metal ready & tank seal.
I have already got the kit from frost but took the tank to surface processing because the marine clean was struggling with cleaning it all.

Fingers crossed for the rest of it :mrgreen:

Latest posts