Max Tyre Size for R14 (215? 205?)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi.

So my bus is now back to stock height - And
I was going for largest tyres on R15 slot mags. Posted a thread a few months back, thanks for all the replies.

However, had issues sourcing these & now I'm looking at using my stock original wide R14 steels.

Like the look of the BF Goodrich's but unsure of the largest size I could fit without having any issues on full lock etc.

So anyone running anything like 215 or 205's?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Walt, I can’t see you having too many issues but not too sure why you want them that wide? I’ve got 185s on mine and plenty of grip etc etc but not way too crazy in supermarket car parks so that you’d get a sweat on reversing into a tight space. With the 185s I can’t see anything that would go near touching with an extra 10mm on each side of even 15mm on each side to get you to 215.
1696838070061.jpegThat’s 185 on stock rim with stainless beauty rings and plastic chromed over nuts and the white highlights is a job for life once you start.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, going for blacked out rims next:)

Hi Walt, I can’t see you having too many issues but not too sure why you want them that wide? I’ve got 185s on mine and plenty of grip etc etc but not way too crazy in supermarket car parks so that you’d get a sweat on reversing into a tight space. With the 185s I can’t see anything that would go near touching with an extra 10mm on each side of even 15mm on each side to get you to 215.
View attachment 6902That’s 185 on stock rim with stainless beauty rings and plastic chromed over nuts and the white highlights is a job for life once you start.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, going for blacked out rims next:)

Thanks @ozziedog

I did look back over the previous posts and yours jumped out as being close to what I'm looking for.

The main reason was that I was recommended BF Goodrich's if I could find 4 available for a good price; For R15's there weren't any, but for R14's there's some 215's and 205's, which weren't available before but I wasn't sure if they'd fit.

With a R15 I've previously had 185's and 195's fit on the rear but with running slot mags I had to use a spacer which pushed the tyre out a bit more closer to the rear wheel arch valance.

So maybe there's no issue with the front; From your photo I think the front would be OK.
Now just wondering if there would be any issue with rear, i.e. is the 205/70 or 215/70 R14 tyre too wide to fit without catching the top of the rear wheel arch valance?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks,
Steve (Walt)

I fitted 195R14 Maxxis Worm Drives to the Crew cab, even with those you get a little bit of rubbing on full lock so wouldnt go much bigger (Good Tyres, very little road noise and cheaper than BF Goodrich, try Camskill for prices)

Latest posts