M6 Toll

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blogdroed

Reaction score
I forgot to post this the other day, but it had me absolutely seething on our way back from our hols.
Having spent three weeks in France paying the same toll fee as a car we arrived at the M6 Toll paystation only to be told we had to pay the same amount as a van or lorry ... a whopping £10!

I was bouncing, and I'm certain never to take the van down the M6 Toll again. Robbing b@$t@rd$

Yep we suffered the same on the way to Scotland ... apparently all to do with the height of the vehicle.

The only reason to use the toll is to guarantee a traffic jam trip round Brum at these prices its not suprising always quiet

Did you pay at a manned booth?
I've paid with my debit card before where it's not manned & it's the same price as a car. 8)

Yes, it was a manned booth, and the guy wasn't having any of my complaints ... bloody jobsworth!

blogdroed said:
Yes, it was a manned booth, and the guy wasn't having any of my complaints ... bloody jobsworth!

Thats where I went wrong the first time I went in me camper van, I now go to the booths that have a card icon above the booth & get away with the price of a car, even get my Renault Traffic work van through like this.... ;)

Had this going to 'Bus Types', given the 'length of vehicle' reason (my Pug 406 estate is longer) and the best, 'there is no bonnet so it's classed as a commercial vehicle'. I said 'It's got windows down the side, a bed, cooker, coolbox and a wardrobe. How the **** do you consider that to be a commercial vehicle?'
'If you want to be like that, then it's a motorhome.......'
Stop at the services and pay over the adds again, £1.95 for a small bottle of water, £3.50 for a (crap) pre packed cheese sandwich.
I have taken a small sign written van and a large 4x4 crew cab pick-up along the toll for the more sensible £5 on several occasions.
I will not be using the toll road in the bus again.

And on Norfolk Line ferry and the 'Chunnel' a bus goes for the same price as a car. Can only think that it cost so much to build they are trying to charge as much as possible. It has never been a cheap road to use.

I got stung this weekend too, but went to the unmanned booth and paid with card...still got charged the commercial price!!
And it's lowered, so that plan doesn't always work :cry:

I wasn't allowed to park in the (almost empty) Winterton beach car park in Norfolk. "No motohomes or campers". I pointed out it was smaller than the SUVs already there, and that it was impossible for all 6 of us to camp in it, but "rules are rules".....

Strangely, the attendant was happy to point out where I could park for free, which I did (next to a rather nice splittie). :)

Mac said:
It's the height above the front axle.. been stung myself :(

mines lower then most people carriers, my sat nav (yes i know :oops: ) took me on, LHD, no change and a £10 to top it off i took me off after one junction :x i have now discovered how to "avoid all tolls" it up set me that much i have to drink heavily all holiday :p

I was stung last year on way to camperjam, I was told it was measured automatically by sensors and the fact cars and people carriers have lower bonnets they get off lighter in the pocket.
A few comments on here sound like the attendants showed discretion.

I avoided the Toll road this year.

To be honest i think it's all to do with the weight of what your driving as i was once stung for a £10 in a fully loaded car with the roofbox on (at an un-manned booth), always make sure i now use a manned booth but have never had to use it in the camper yet

:evil: yep got smacked on the rrse with that one myself m6 toll apparently it measures the height of the vehicle from the front wheel and because I've no bonnet the system says I'm a truck :evil: :evil: at least dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you :msn4:

I got stung once and now never use the road.

Quite why the Dartford & Severn bridges let you through on car rates and these thieves don't I'll never understand.

Latest posts