Looking at getting an alternator ,buying advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I'm going to switch to an alternator and have been looking at the various kits .As I have most of th parts the kits seem a little bit of a waist of money.Also I'm concerned that the alternator in the cheap kits aren't that great although I won't be racking up many miles. I don't think I can afford a Bosch one but wondered if the Lucas ones are pretty good as I thought Lucas is a ok brand. Other than that I've seen a JP group 75amp job for sale although 55a would be find for me .

I have one of the 55a kits (vw heritage from memory I think). It is fine, although the internal regulator and its fittings are not great quality have had to change it a couple of times over the past couple of years. Is an easy change but given its a £35 part wasn't really expecting that to be a yearly service part. Assume the Lucas / Bosch ones are sturdier. N.b I have a new loom and a stereo off a leisure battery so not a massive load on it. My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a 75amp jobbie from Cool Air. Was about £170 but has done several thousand miles and gets spun to some serious rpm and seems to still be going strong

Had a crap repro conk out on me so ended up tracking down a genuine Bosch recon - about £200 but worth every penny for peace of mind and guaranteed quality.

Thanks all . I've decided to buy a new Bosch kit as it was most cost effective with my discount . Hopefully ghat will sort things .The only query is the wiring kit diagram says to connect the brown Dynamo wire to the earth on the new alternator .Where does the brown wire go to from the alternator?

Latest posts