"LemurBus" Empty Garage Syndrome

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68_early_bay said:
Very nice work coming along nicely 8)

I used double sided tape to keep my mats in place on the wheel arches especially the side ones on the walkthrough

4N2Ve.jpg

Thanks for the tip there, I was thinking maybe some sticky backed velcro maybe?, that way they'll be easier to remove should i need to clean them, We;ve not had the walkthrough sides though, just the under seat, cabfloor and walkthrough floor.. thought they looked 'too much' for our bus.. but yours look real nice there!! :)

Cheers
Liam

lemur said:
Thanks for the tip there, I was thinking maybe some sticky backed velcro maybe?, that way they'll be easier to remove should i need to clean them,
Cheers
Liam

Good idea on the Velcro 8) the stuff I used is 'low stick' type holds the mats in place but can be easy removed without damaging the paint 8)

key words right there; without damaging the paint :D got a link? i'm guessing a 3M product?
Cheers
Liam

Really nice interior mods with the colour choices 8)

Flooring looks good also :D

lemur said:
key words right there; without damaging the paint :D got a link? i'm guessing a 3M product?
Cheers
Liam

Just been down the garage, but what the remainder of the roll I have left doesn't have a label on it :oops: I got it from the jtf warehouse at the end of my road there was some saying high tack, but I can remember it saying low tack across the roll and thought that'll do me :msn4:

Next job is the OG sun visors, Although in great nick they are heavily sun bleached, must be warm out there in cali! so after weighing up various options I've decided to vinyl dye them... colour is 'winter white 082' which judging by the colour of the can top should match the headlining well (i hope)

anyway before shots.. here are the visors and the paint.

CAfOy.jpg

WcXkF.jpg

Jgld1.jpg

After shots to follow shortly :)
Peace

Lordain Volley said:
Great work, you have clearly put a lot if graft in to the project. It looks a very nice bus. :D

LV

Thank you very much,
It gets to the point where you just don't wanna cut any corners, otherwise I'd have been done 2yrs ago :lol:
.....although the peeps on here understand that, since most of them have done the same or more.

Cheers Liam

Really nice bus! Great work! The dashboard looks absolutely fabulous! Can you tell me where you got your seatbelts from?
Best regards from Switzerland
Reto

Aircooler said:
Really nice bus! Great work! The dashboard looks absolutely fabulous! Can you tell me where you got your seatbelts from?
Best regards from Switzerland
Reto

Thank you for the kind words :)
Managed to find a link to them for you http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW20AAL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I ordered them through a UK site, of which completely slips my mind..sorry :oops:
hope that helps a little..
Liam

So spraying the visors went well :) I was a little doubtful tbh but a de-greasing wash then a light 'dust coat' followed by a second full coat 30 minutes later seemed to sort it, colour is very near the headliner vinyl so i'm chuffed like!
Will upload pics of them fitted tomorrow if time.

here they are hanging on the washing line after the final coat,

4zI7a.jpg

uk1md.jpg

ehzEc.jpg

while I was in the painting vibe decided to give the bumper irons a lick of the old por15.. in preparation of fitting the Harringtons stainless steel bumpers, this is a task I'm dreading... I've heard they fit like shit, however they look the nuts if you are prepared to do a little fabrication and fettling.......and I am!! This is a subject I welcome any advice/tips on before I do it?

the irons..

MxKWi.jpg

Oh I hope to fit the rims I had off stuF in the morning too :mrgreen:
happy days
L

Painted drums up and fitted the empi5'S :mrgreen: (a real modern classic) Thanks stuF
chuffed!!!

AaZtk.jpg

r8nAU.jpg

S73F2513_zps96bce726.jpg

more soon

ps, not jacked up rear end, shocks not relaxed yet lol

Looking awesome mate - glad you like them!
My second favourite wheels :msn4:

StuF said:
Looking awesome mate - glad you like them!
My second favourite wheels :msn4:

yeah love them, what was the wax you used to keep them sweet? i wanna keep em dazzling :mrgreen: you did tell me but my memory fails :oops:
L

Always used this stuff buddy

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/finishkare-1000p-hi-temp-sealant/prod_589.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using it on the BTR wheels now and it's keeping them nice and protected.

8) 8)

Went about fitting the new steering wheel and boss kit today (made by Grant) and although I love the steering wheel the boss is fuck-ugly :(

Not only is it aesthetically displeasing, since it is wider at the bottom than the indicator switch housing but also it lifts the steering wheel about 3" which changes the driving position and not for the better..
Looking at other companies bosses on various websites has told me that I need to fabricate this item to be happy with 'the look' and the driving position.

watch this space.. I'm gonna get creative on this shit :lol:

Liam

so here goes.. I've cut the middle from my original wheel, next I'll be removing the perished rubber/plastic from it then it'll have to go into the lathe to lose the 2 areas that protrude to the outer wheel, the idea is to effectively make this into a boss i can bolt my new wheel to, this should leave me with the correct wheel height and 'look'... no risk no reward :msn4:

1Q8gr.jpg

JLoaw.jpg

JWrAQ.jpg

I'll drop up more pics on my return from the lathe...

Liam

The machining went well, took off the most minimal amount of material possible and gave it a little shape, lost the thin rim around the very top with the cut outs..
mNgcH.jpg

here you can see a mark where the 'arm went out to the actual wheel', there is one on each side obviously but this is unavoidable i guess... :?
dTuml.jpg

The 3 holes have been tapped now to accommodate the bolts that affix the new steering wheel,they have a threaded depth of 14mm so well within the rule of "depth of one and a half times the bolts diameter" of course hardened bolts, studlock and spring washers will be employed as standard. luckily vw pattern is the same as the wheel :D

Next thing will be to machine a spacer that fills the internal area inside the boss, effectively a massive steel washer with the 3 holes in (a tad oversize to allow bolts through) and a hole in the middle big enough to allow a skinny 24mm socket in. This spacer will be 2mm higher than the boss so that the wheel is against the steel.

KsnUy.jpg

hEPmH.jpg

I hope this is making sense? soon as i've knocked up the spacer it should become clear with pics...

liam

Latest posts