Jan 68 deluxe build

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockandrollcamper

Reaction score
Hello all,

I started a pretty rubbish build thread a good while back and never really got it off the ground. So, I thought id give it another go and make a conscious effort to do updates and hopefully get some motivation from you guys. Ive threatened to finish the bus for the last two years but feel this IS THE YEAR!!!! Plus Ive got 2 weeks camping in Dorset planned for July and I don’t intend on sleeping in a tent …..again!

So here it is my Jan 68 deluxe in Sept 2009

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment45.jpg

Id always fancied an ‘old vw’ but it was more luck than good judgement that I ended up with an early bay. Id just sold my T4, I was tentively looking for something aircooled when I seen this bus advertised on a local forum. It wasn’t the prettiest but it was a fair price didn’t need too much work.

The front panel was knackered as were the cab floors and seat belt mounts. Other than that it was solid and pretty much a blank canvas to do what I wanted.

DSCF1626.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

The Initial plan was to get the repairs done, swap the electrics and get an MOT on it but with one thing or another, moving house and being generally busy it spent the next 14 months pretty much the same as when I got it.
15062009054.jpg

Turns out that wasn’t too bad a thing, it gave me time to hang around here picking up ideas from you guys and gave me a better idea of what I want from the bus.

The to do list went roughly like this

Fresh paint
Lowered
Plenty of bling
A bit more power
Full camping interior

So, Oct 2010 I set about stripping the bus completely and started getting prices for the repairs and paintwork. Spoke to a few people who were recommended on a local forum, prices varied massively but one guy seemed to be confident he could pull off the tricky colour which Id chosen, for a fair price and off it went. (READ – it was cheaper than the other READ not my wisest decision)

canon182.jpg

canon177.jpg

canon189.jpg

canon188.jpg

Fast forward to March 2011, I had a pretty bad snowboarding accident, hurt my back and broke my arm in 4 places and was sick as a chip. The bus was ready to come home but seeing as I was out of action it pretty much went straight into the garage. Now this is where the last build thread ran out of steam.

Well, Arm turned out to be much worse than first thought, took 3 operations and a year to get right so apart from the odd job such as the wheel detailing it never seen the light of day again till spring 2012.

2012 – This was going to be THE YEAR!

Now….. I don’t want to dwell on this for too long but in short, when I got the bus out I seen it in a new light. Quite literally. The repairs carried out were excellent but the finish on the paint…. Well its not the best. Anyway, moving on – you live and learn. This left me with a new dilemma. I knew the paint didn’t cut it but if I tried to get the bodywork sorted out then I could say goodbye to 2012 so I took the decision to get on with getting the windows in and the running gear fitted so this is some of the progress .

Firstly the windows went in.
This felt strange. I mean it was nice to get the new rubber in and think it was going to be watertight but at the same time it certainly wasn't nice putting them in knowing that some day they were coming back out for paint. It was like moving house, unpacking your belongings just to know they'll be getting packed up before long.

I then got on with fittinh the new loom, new lights, sound deadening, waxoyl.

I set about painting the fuel tank

3a470f86.jpg

Next was building and fitting the beam. Its a weedeater with drop spindles and monroes

Now In know to many of you swapping wide 5 for small 5 is a cardinal sin but by this time id bought my wheels and tyres.

e8ee336b.jpg

the tyre sizes and suspension set up is very similar to one of my all time favourite buses so with a bit of luck should have this sort of stance

Ive not had the chance to play around too much with the set up but at the moment its very ar4e in the air

That's about as far as I got in 2012. I didn't get on the road but I did make a lot of progress.

This is where the project continues Jan 2013.

Immediate plans are to sort the paintwork, fit a mild 1776, oak interior and some new vinyl – Im sure this will be THE YEAR!

Watch this space

Nigel

Hello!! Whats wron with the paint? Looks bling bling :sick0006:

Looking forward in following this one fella!!

some nice looking work there, what's the colour?
paint looks good in photos

cheers Pete

Looking good, lovely bus this is going to be.
Question why do you have the extension on the steering central pin?

Greetings from Holland Mycha

Nice one mate. Have you got any more side on shots of your favorite bus or know the tyre size profiles at all?

Hey Cheers for the comments. It really does help you along.

Dont get me wrong about the paint. Its not the worst paint job in the world and if Id went for an OG colour instead of a metallic then it probably wouldnt look half as bad. Unfortunately though, Im a bit of f@dge when it comes to things like this and for me to maintain sanity it needs done :lol:

The colouir is a vw colour called bustang. I knopw not everyones cup of tea but I love it. Although not an og colour it does look 'period'.

Mozzie - have a look here for more info on the white bus and 17's in general

Mycha Im not to sure what you mean ? do you mean where the steering damper is connected? If so it was supplied by CE with the beam.

The bus is in the bodyshop so more info and pics will follow shortly

Cheers again

Nigel

The colour is definitely an improvement :lol: and it looks a lot like a colour Strongy was looking at some time in the past? Either way, in the pics it looks pretty sweet to me!

Looks like good work has been done and don't worry about the back end being so high. My rear raised a mile when I dropped the engine!

gvee said:
The colour is definitely an improvement :lol: and it looks a lot like a colour Strongy was looking at some time in the past? Either way, in the pics it looks pretty sweet to me!

Looks like good work has been done and don't worry about the back end being so high. My rear raised a mile when I dropped the engine!

Good to hear I'm not the only lunatic in the asylum then.. Or maybe I am assuming that Strongy didn't go through with it.

So, the bus has gone off to the bodyshop, hopefully this will sort out some of the imperfections. Note the marker pen

8385331004_e633945799_b.jpg

8385329126_7d140a0f17_b.jpg

8384243925_43caec4162_b.jpg

8384242921_a1f6a9a4b0_b.jpg

It should be away for a good few weeks and the weather has changed so a good time to retreat to the man cave
8384551128_063fe77ded_b.jpg

And start the interior. I originally was going to go with a full width rusty lee bed but I've since passed that on in favour of a 3/4 bed so I can run a full length camping interior.

Plan is to build the carcass from birch ply and face with an oak frame. It will house a cool box in a chest, along with a smev sink/hob combo covered with an oak 'piano lid'.

This is as far as I've got so far.

8384232623_4a28eea74d_b.jpg

My girlfriend was over the moon when I decided to bring it into the house :lol:

Next is to continue with the interior units and also polish and refurb the westy jaluosie - I'm dreading it

Cheers for looking

Nigel

Looking good mate. I like the paint and wheel choice. 8)

Will be watching your interior build as it sounds similar to what I have in mind :D

Mycha, if its the same problem as you get on a splitty, I believe that bracket is there to move the steering damper attachment point out of the way of the forward gearshift rod when you have a raised steering pin. I have the same problem on my crewcab but shaved the head of the bolt a few mm. This is the first time I´ve seen this bracket. May have to give CE a call :D

Latest posts