I'm pissed off and ready for scrapping this pile of shit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE LAST PANZER

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks i have been rebuilding my engine after i found out my case studs were loose. Before i stripped it he was running fine.

I stripped it to the block cleaned it and replaced the case stud with lock tight making sure everything was clean and tight, de-coked the pistons and heads, set the piston rings up and refitted them with new gaskets and rubbers where needed.

i Re jetted my carbs to 55 idle jets, 150 main jets, 170 air corrector and F6 emulsion tubes. These were cleaned and re built very carefully and then fitted to the engine along with the cleaned fuel pump and new SVDA Distributor with new points and the gap set and checked, a new set of plug leads and a new set of plugs with the gaps checked and set.

The tappets were set from cold from cylinder 1 and then in reverse through to cylinder 4.

Rest of the engine assembled back in with a new fuel filter wich sits just below the fuel tank, battery charged fuel in turn the key a million times and nothing..............ok not to worry turn the distributor a little and hey he fired up but very very lumpy.........ok not a proplem i thought i'll just turn the distributor a little to get it somthing like ......nothing, its comes to that i can take number 3 and 4 plug lead off and nothing changes :evil:

i do know there is a spark as i fitted one of the old ones and held it against a bolt on the engine and it is definately firing.

I'm supposed to be going to Dubs at the castle in a few weeks but at this rate it looks very unlikey, if anyone has any advice then i would be most grateful

Thank you a VW marine caught in an ambush and low on ammo.

Mate lumpy at idle is pretty commen with ict 34's mine does the same, U can take the leads of and it makes no difference. Do a search on google you will find loads of info on them. It should be fine once you put your foot down.

mattd1984 said:
Mate lumpy at idle is pretty commen with ict 34's mine does the same, U can take the leads of and it makes no difference. Do a search on google you will find loads of info on them. It should be fine once you put your foot down.

Yeah i thought that so i removed both linkages and worked both carbs individually the bank 1 and 2 seems to be ok but 3 and 4 nothing so i think there is a more pressing problem, i'm even considering going back to single stock carb :(

mattd1984 said:

Then you need to sort them out, it's only a common problem on carbs that aren't set up properly. Mine's fine, nice even idle.

Jim

Did you remove the dizzy drive? if so is the dizzy 180 degrees out?, check where the rotor arm faces at TDC, it should be facing towards to you and over to the right slightly.

Are you sure the dizzy is in the right place and the plug leads are in the right order, I made this mistake recently :roll: :roll:

Dodo, did you get this sorted yet, don't loose heart its something simple.

Mine didn't idle properly as one of the linkages fell off the back of the carbs and hence was not opening at all. These were brand new out of the box ! Re attached the linkage and all is fine idles about 750 rpm.

At least it fired so start with the easy things first. Check that carbs are fuelling correctly before taking the engine apart.

Graham L said:
Jim

Did you remove the dizzy drive? if so is the dizzy 180 degrees out?, check where the rotor arm faces at TDC, it should be facing towards to you and over to the right slightly.

Are you sure the dizzy is in the right place and the plug leads are in the right order, I made this mistake recently :roll: :roll:

yeah im with GL i did the same a long time ago and sounds very simler.180 out and would only fire with the dizzy in some random spot.

Shouldn't this be in the Technical section :roll:

Hope it's an easy fix though, just like the others have mentioned :mrgreen:

Des

DOOOOOOOOOOOD, :evil: Never surrender marine, never never ever !!!! If all else fails, I`ll be up with my largest hammers to beat some sense into that bus and you or both (as required) And where are you anyway soldier, in case we can get assistance choppered in (sounds painfull dont it) :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck duder :mrgreen:

strongy said:
Graham L said:
Jim

yeah im with GL i did the same a long time ago and sounds very simler.180 out and would only fire with the dizzy in some random spot.
180 out and it will backfire through the carb louder than a shotgun. I think he'd have noticed...

sounds very similar to my issues.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42425&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't had the time to get out and fiddle with things yet so not narrowed it down, but a few suggestions from people on there. let me know how you fix it though or ill end up going even more mental. :msn4:

Ok so this morning i thought i'd aproach the job with some good old fashioned british spirit and not to let it get to me. First thing i did while it was cold was to set the tappets up bank 1 and 2 were perfect so back on the rocker covers went, banks 3 and 4........er........thats not right.

All the push rod tubes wern't sat in the rocker cup reciever at all, at that point i felt very good as had a feeling that after this was set back up things would good. So i checked all the push rods for damage and found none :D re torqued the rocker gear :D and then re set the tappets :D

After this i re checked the firing order of the leads, points gap, fuel was coming through and i was getting a spark from the distributor, all was in order and good to fire him up.

started on the key :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It is running ever so slightly lumpy on tick over but no coughs or bangs when throttle is on full in fact its really smooth :D

So at the weekend in going to set the gas, dwell and strobe the timing up ready for the dreaded MOT :(

DUBS AT THE CASTLE HERE WE COME :mrgreen: :D 8) :lol: :lol:

THE LAST PANZER said:
Ok so this morning i thought i'd aproach the job with some good old fashioned british spirit and not to let it get to me. First thing i did while it was cold was to set the tappets up bank 1 and 2 were perfect so back on the rocker covers went, banks 3 and 4........er........thats not right.

All the push rod tubes wern't sat in the rocker cup reciever at all, at that point i felt very good as had a feeling that after this was set back up things would good. So i checked all the push rods for damage and found none :D re torqued the rocker gear :D and then re set the tappets :D

After this i re checked the firing order of the leads, points gap, fuel was coming through and i was getting a spark from the distributor, all was in order and good to fire him up.

started on the key :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It is running ever so slightly lumpy on tick over but no coughs or bangs when throttle is on full in fact its really smooth :D

So at the weekend in going to set the gas, dwell and strobe the timing up ready for the dreaded MOT :(

DUBS AT THE CASTLE HERE WE COME :mrgreen: :D 8) :lol: :lol:

:D

Glad you sorted it Jim.
Any news on the steering box?

Latest posts