How to fit Porsche Wheels on an Earlybay (71)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you just slot the drums for the rear holes and i made the rear hubs from scratch , Creative don`t own the copyrights to it as a) its way too expensive to copyright and b) i copied the vw one not theirs and c) i used bolts instead of studs as its easier to remove wheel as she is lowered :msn4: :msn4:

lhu128l said:
you just slot the drums for the rear holes and i made the rear hubs from scratch , Creative don`t own the copyrights to it as a) its way too expensive to copyright and b) i copied the vw one not theirs and c) i used bolts instead of studs as its easier to remove wheel as she is lowered :msn4: :msn4:

Agreed, but most people (or even most machine shops) don't have the machinery to make a hub from scratch :(

Even if you do have access to the lathe and slotter needed for making a one off pair if you can't do the work yourself it would be more to make then than CE charge for their product.

Modifying the original hub to 130 pcd is more acheivable for the diyer but it still needs to have the od turned on a lathe and be bored to the new pcd on a rotary table.

Finally got round to taking my rear hubs off my old bus today to look at the redrill process for the rear. The hub has a star cast in the back and if you wanted to drill it in the middle of the standard holes, you will find the cut out for the outsde diameter messes where you want to drill.

Transporterhaus, with your :) response above, do you have blank hubs that can be bought and drilled?

Looking at the CE ones someone was selling on here (and i missed out on :( ) it looks like they dont have the cut out and have both 112 and 130 sutud pattern drilled.

It looks an easy job to make your own, only issue and its a biggy is to slot out the centre bore for the splines.

Any updated ideas please :?:

Nugsy said:
Finally got round to taking my rear hubs off my old bus today to look at the redrill process for the rear. The hub has a star cast in the back and if you wanted to drill it in the middle of the standard holes, you will find the cut out for the outsde diameter messes where you want to drill.

Transporterhaus, with your :) response above, do you have blank hubs that can be bought and drilled?

Looking at the CE ones someone was selling on here (and i missed out on :( ) it looks like they dont have the cut out and have both 112 and 130 sutud pattern drilled.

It looks an easy job to make your own, only issue and its a biggy is to slot out the centre bore for the splines.

Any updated ideas please :?:

When you redrill original hubs to 130 you have to drill through the ribs on the back. Fit the bolt pattern in around the cut out. It can be done.

CE hubs have 110 PCD and 130 PCD. The 110 PCD is because they are from their rear disc kit which attaches a Golf rear disc from the back of the hub.

To do the splined centre you need to get a broach made or access to a slotter or wire eroder. We do have our own slotting machine in the shop, so can do the splines.

I have hubs semi done but a lot of other stuff on at the moment which need finishing first.

Just been through this exact process on my 72.
As of last night I now have a set of 6x15 cookie cutters fitted using the following:
Fronts are crossover transporterhaus reversed balljoint spindles with wilwood dynalite calipers fitted to Porsche 944 hubs and disks off a 84 model using a vdubengineering bearing spacer and caliper bracket kit (for late bay spindles but modded) with goodridge hoses to finish.
Oh & I'm running a creative engineering narrowed weedeater beam.

Rears are creative engineering 5x130pcd hubs and drums that went straight on(bar shortening the studs). Couldn't be bothered in the end to get a machine shop to
Modify the existing hubs, but might have a go converting to
Mk4 golf calipers and disks later as the hubs have a provision for this already.

Before I fitted this I was running adaptors that I bought off butty on vzi.
They did the job but weren't as simple to fit with the cookies because unlike a lot if other Porsche wheels the cookies do not have a "scalloped" inner face so the adaptor plate and 5x112 nuts/studs had to be flat (if that makes sense) so the nuts and studs were shortened.
When I first fitted these I tried out a set of 7s on the rear and they wouldn't go under the arches- the 6s with a 185/65/15 tyre only just cleared by a few mm.
I'm not sure you'll get a 7 on the rear even without adaptors, if I get a chance today I will trial fit one and take a pic.
Hope this helps, any Qs give me a shout.

Deconstructor runs 7" cookies fit on the back with the creative hubs (no adaptors)
Fairly sure he's running full fat 205/65 tyres on there too....

23072011359.jpg

Geeze said:
Deconstructor runs 7" cookies fit on the back with the creative hubs (no adaptors)
Fairly sure he's running full fat 205/65 tyres on there too....

23072011359.jpg

You will also need to shorten the axle and the hub to fit the wheel centres.

TransporterHaus said:
You will also need to shorten the axle and the hub to fit the wheel centres.

Oops, yep. You can just about see the sticky out hub nut and no centre cap in that shot. And defo not enough clearance outer arch to the sidewall to be able to run enough spacer to get the centre cap on!

I spoke with Paul at T2D and he said you can get the 7" Fuch replicas on the back with a spacer to allow the cap to fit on....

I wasn't sure if this was the case.

I think I will go the whole hog route at the moment with the hub machining to get it to fit without the spacer.

I'm speaking with these guys in holland who do a rear boxster 996 brake kit for the front. A mate has it, and it makes the braking very very effective.

->Adam

adamski said:
I'm speaking with these guys in holland who do a rear boxster 996 brake kit for the front. A mate has it, and it makes the braking very very effective.

->Adam

You got any more details? Looking into front brake stuff again after Lynmouth!

The other option with the rear caps is to have a spacer made to sit between the centre cap and the wheel. Had a pair done for the fuchs on the back of my beetle years ago after having a slight adventure with the machined down axle / nut combo :shock:
That said, it wasn't the cleverest cut down axle in town but hey, follies of youth :lol:

adamski said:

I know why you'd consider running boxster rear calipers because of the disc width being the same as 944 fronts making them easy to fit, but why not run boxster front calipers. It aint hard to fit them with a little machining.

Hi Transporterhaus,
I should probably call you too in my quest for new brakes. I will be buying the parts to have them fitted by a the garage I use.
I would be keen to use boxster s calipers, but not sure if this is possible

adamski said:
Hi Transporterhaus,
I should probably call you too in my quest for new brakes. I will be buying the parts to have them fitted by a the garage I use.
I would be keen to use boxster s calipers, but not sure if this is possible

Haveacamper has Boxster s disks & calipers on his 72, look at his gallery thread although nelly/nellybus did the work originally.

I've actually got a pair of brand new custom machined hubs and monoblock adaptors that will allow the fitment of boxter S discs/calipers on a latebay spindle using stock vw grease cap and bearings.

Will have to dig out a pic, one of many projects currently shelved as no time so may sell

mattp said:
I've actually got a pair of brand new custom machined hubs and monoblock adaptors that will allow the fitment of boxter S discs/calipers on a latebay spindle using stock vw grease cap and bearings.

Will have to dig out a pic, one of many projects currently shelved as no time so may sell

Would these fit under 15" rims or need bigger?

TransporterHaus said:
adamski said:

I know why you'd consider running boxster rear calipers because of the disc width being the same as 944 fronts making them easy to fit, but why not run boxster front calipers. It aint hard to fit them with a little machining.

Hello Alex,

How are you, still waiting on the T-shirt 8) :lol:

Question? i drive the 944 type1 brakes all-around om my westy.
When i'm going to convert to boxster monoblok (type1 no S) what sort of machining i have to do? (except changing adapters and thicker disk in front)

Will the boxters front an rear work with 15inch deep dish fuchs without spacers?

I have also the 944S2 turbo/brembo's laying around but the only work with 9mm spacers :oops: thats not what i want.

Hope to hear, kind regards from Holland

Mycha Jesaijes

Loxy said:
Before I fitted this I was running adaptors that I bought off butty on vzi.
When I first fitted these I tried out a set of 7s on the rear and they wouldn't go under the arches- the 6s with a 185/65/15 tyre only just cleared by a few mm.
I'm not sure you'll get a 7 on the rear even without adaptors.

I`m running 7x17 ET 52 Boxster wheels .I used early 944 hubs on the front . I swapped all the early Bay (5 x 205 ) brakes on the rear to late Bay , then I used 20mm Buttys adaptors . I have Creative adjustable springplates . If I didn`t use the adaptors the tyre would rub on the adjusting grubscrew on the springplate . If I used 25mm adaptors the tyre would rub on the wheel arch .
It`s all a bit of a minefield , but anything worth doing ( in my case super slammed on 17s ) is worth the effort .
Ask if you want to know anything else about my set up :D
The only pic I have at the moment:

Just refound this thread, still running on original wheels despite all the above. Sold the 944 front hubs /calipers/disks etc but still got adapters, a set of 6" and 7" teledials, and a spare set of rear drums/hubs/axels.

At the time I was looking at these options the cost of redrilling the rear hubs, shortening the axle and slotting the drum was quoted at around £100, just took a look now and its nearer £250 and that's with a core exchange (£150 without exchange)
Creative 130PCD drums hubs are around £350

Are futbus still about as I think I also got in touch with them on prices, however google only showed up an option to buy the domain name :-(

Latest posts