HELP! broke down abroad and being screwed by the AA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trikky2 said:
Glad it's sorted and they are bringing it back for you.

Funnily enough, I had been hearing the occasional intermittent whine from the front of my bus for a while and initially put it down to tyre noise on some road surfaces.

Last year I decided to investigate the front wheel bearings and found they were both really badly worn. I couldn't believe that bearings in such a state would make so little noise!

The irony is that the wheel bearing that went was replaced two weeks ago by my local garage. I won't be paying for the next one!

gonzomillstrood said:
Trikky2 said:
Glad it's sorted and they are bringing it back for you.

Funnily enough, I had been hearing the occasional intermittent whine from the front of my bus for a while and initially put it down to tyre noise on some road surfaces.

Last year I decided to investigate the front wheel bearings and found they were both really badly worn. I couldn't believe that bearings in such a state would make so little noise!

The irony is that the wheel bearing that went was replaced two weeks ago by my local garage. I won't be paying for the next one!

Sounds like it may have been a faulty bearing then :(

If you fit one yourself make sure to bed it by tightening with a spanner whilst turning the wheel, a few times, and then set it to about as tight as you can get it with just your fingers and lock it there.

If these bearing are set too tight then they will fail because they will get even tighter as they warm up during use. It starts a vicious circle of tightness and heating.

So, I thought I would give you guys an update.
Because the wheel bearing is FUBARed the wheel won't turn at all now, so they won't be able to get it on the low loader to bring it home. So they have no option to fix it at their expense, good! Once it's fixed, they will arrange to ship it back to me. That's great, BUT apparently it will take 15 days to get it back home! It only took me a day to get down there in it. They don't mention this in their terms and conditions.

The problem here is that we are supposed to be going away in her at the beginning of august. This just gets better and better!

Odd. I have seen recovery people literally drag crashed cars onto low loaders. Those electric winches are powerful. Maybe they are worried about doing more damage?

It could also be that the vehicle will be relayed eg, each low loader only takes it so far and then it gets swapped to another, in which case a seized wheel becomes a big pain.

Yes recovering vehicles from abroad can take quite a long time. We had a few cars and caravans recovered by the AA/RAC etc. from the campsite over the years and often it would be some weeks before they came to collect them. I never charged any storage. I always felt it was bad enough for the poor owners to have this happen to them without then also having to pay for the privilege.

marcher said:
I've got a couple of free days if you fancy a road trip to sort it out fella. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers Matt, I really appreciate the offer. I'm so stressed with the whole thing now I don't quite know what to do. I'm just sending the AA an email threatening legal action. I'll see how it that goes.
By the way I thought Evie and everyone else did an outstanding job tonight!

Colin.

gonzomillstrood said:
marcher said:
I've got a couple of free days if you fancy a road trip to sort it out fella. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers Matt, I really appreciate the offer. I'm so stressed with the whole thing now I don't quite know what to do. I'm just sending the AA an email threatening legal action. I'll see how it that goes.
By the way I thought Evie and everyone else did an outstanding job tonight!

Colin.

No worries m8. It's not that far to fetch it. Have you thought about hiring a car & trailer and collect yourself??? A.S.H car hire have both, I have used them myself.

Cobi was a "Top Draw" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could these guys help?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=57985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon.

Hi all.
Thanks for the link simon.
It's taken three weeks so far, and I got a call yesterday to say the wheel bearing and drum have been fixed :D but the brakes are unsafe :evil: up to this point I was ready to jump on the eurostar and train to pick it up and drive it back. I've now managed to find someone local who can pick it up for me for £750 all in.
He can get it some time next week, happy days. I won't actually believe it until it's sitting on my drive again but I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts