Grinding noise on front wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeytiger1976

Reaction score
Hi. Looking for a bit of advice. I’m getting a really nasty grinding sound from the front wheels of my 1970 T2 Bay. As far as I can tell it only happens when undertaking very tight turns either left or right when moving at very slow speeds e.g in a car park.

Any ideas of what to investigate would be really appreciated. Cheers.

Or ,,, is it possible that you’re having a little rubbing issue? Easy to spot usually by looking under and seeing if you have any extra clean and shiny bits :shock: :shock: :shock:
Another possibility is, is it lowered??? As this opens up another can of worms . If it is lowered, how is it lowered? Or pop up some pics of the bus as it stands then we can have a guess. But wheel bearings ^^^ ain’t a bad shout, what’s it like on roundy bouts?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, shiney bits is usually he giveaway ;) :mrgreen: ;)

I recently created shiny bits on the rear of my front wheel arches, caused by the tyres being too big for the ride height. You tend to get more of a tyre squeal after its rubbed the underseal and paint off, maybe it would be a grinding noise prior to this.

Here's a pic of the shiny bit at the back of my arch.
13974d0999295eca7bad29fc12040999.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
I recently created shiny bits on the rear of my front wheel arches, caused by the tyres being too big for the ride height. You tend to get more of a tyre squeal after its rubbed the underseal and paint off, maybe it would be a grinding noise prior to this.

Here's a pic of the shiny bit at the back of my arch.
13974d0999295eca7bad29fc12040999.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Yeah we all been there bud :lol: But that wasn’t where I was going to be truthful. I’ve seen a few with fourteen inch wheels that have a ballpoint or two that’s just about to pop but rubbing on the inside of the wheel rim, but the spindles with reversed ball joints. Ask me how I knows :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,I got em on mine :mrgreen:

Latest posts