Gas bottle in engine bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareneforster

Reaction score
Is it a completely mad idea to mount the gas bottle for the propex heater in the left hand cavity of the engine bay? Would save me bags of room under the seat as I've only got 3/4 rock and roll. Worried this might be a fire risk though. Any one do this? Thanks

Wouldnt be a great idea :shock: - the heat generated by the engine could very easily cause the gas bottles pressure to exceed its safe limits effectively creating a bomb in your engine compartment
Personally I wouldnt be considering it - if space is an issue couldnt you just get a smaller bottle and change it more often as required?
I dont have a propex - just a nice winter sleeping bag and a beer jacket! :lol:

Camping gas bottles were fitted there by Dormobile in the d 4/6 conversions. Never heard of any problems. Think about it. If the engine heat were a problem why on earth would there be a battery in the opposite corner?

Trikky2 said:
Camping gas bottles were fitted there by Dormobile in the d 4/6 conversions. Never heard of any problems. Think about it. If the engine heat were a problem why on earth would there be a battery in the opposite corner?

Didnt realise they were fitted by Dormobile in that location - maybe it would be fine then?
Every day is a learning day! :D

Found a pic you posted Trikky ages ago of the installation position

20.jpg

Also, don't forget that lots of people run around with engine bay mounted fire extinguishers - I'm sure they are a higher pressure than a propane tank. Personally, I'd probably try to make some sort of firewall in a similar vain to what separates your fuel tank from the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine that in a rear ended shunt, sure it won't explode on impact but when it leaks and then the electrics spark !
It just makes me a little uneasy.

*Sam* said:
Imagine that in a rear ended shunt, sure it won't explode on impact but when it leaks and then the electrics spark !
It just makes me a little uneasy.

I agree, although a rear end shunt might just as easily loosen the fuel line connections, with similar results. So, placing the gas bottle there too effectively doubles the number of potential weak points.

I do get the argument for saving space, though I don't think this is a sensible answer (for me, anyway) even if Dormobile did all those years ago.

Kev

I had a Viking conversion about 20 years ago and that had the gas bottle in the engine bay from the factory, although I can understand people's concerns.

How much ground clearance do you need for an underslung tank?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

67westy said:

200mm I believe.
Costs me £6 to fill up and lasted my entire 6 month trip.

i know this goes against the whole needing to keep the space inside the bus free, but i would think fabricating a box to raise the external tank up to create more ground clearance (hiding it in a cupboard) would be fairly simple and keeps it outside for refilling and peace of mind

Supertramp said:
67westy said:

200mm I believe.
So is the 200mm from tank to floor when it's installed? How far below the chassis rail does it hang? It's an idea I've been thinking with for a while but always thought the bus might be too low.

If you have pics of underneath it would be good to see them :D

67westy said:
Supertramp said:
67westy said:

200mm I believe.
So is the 200mm from tank to floor when it's installed? How far below the chassis rail does it hang? It's an idea I've been thinking with for a while but always thought the bus might be too low.

If you have pics of underneath it would be good to see them :D

You can look at my underslung tank sometime in the next couple of weeks when I pop over for that coolbox

pkrboo said:
You can look at my underslung tank sometime in the next couple of weeks when I pop over for that coolbox
Sounds like a plan :) running a little higher now so I might be able to fit one

Mines a dorma gas bottles are in the engine bay have been ever since the van was made, also gas bottle are made to with stand a stupid amount of pressure. I've got no plans of moving mine

Just spotted this thread. I asked the same a few months ago when ii worked it out from various bits of remaining evidence that that's where by Dormobile ones would have been. They're going back there too when I get to that stage... I don't see it as being that much different from having an log tank in the boot of a car...

Latest posts