• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE 1969 Original Dormobile Camper ** NOW SOLD **

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morphim

Reaction score
*** THIS IS NOW SOLD ***
Thanks for all the enquiries though. Good luck to those still looking : )

** edit - April 2015 - please see my last post for current info on this. The info directly below is from last summer**

Hello

I'm considering selling my beloved '69 Original Dormbile Camper - original as in, it's a proper Martin Walter Dormobile Conversion with original interior and side opening roof.

I've owned it for approx the last 20 years, but did sell it to a friend, some time in the late 90s, for a year, then bought it back. This is when it was neglected somewhat and was the beginning of its current 'look'

It's rather tatty, with a bit of an unintentional 'rat look' but looks worse than it is and is pretty solid. It's an honest van that, yes, could do with some work, but is a fully functional, taxed & MOT'd original early bay camper.

I've never really been in a position financially to tackle the cosmetics, but it has always been maintained and has been used as a working camper for our family with 3 kids.
This is still the case, but the kids are getting older & bigger and it's more of a squeeze so I think it's time to let someone else have a go.

It sleeps 5 (double rock & roll bed at rear, two bunks in the roof and a bunk that spans the cab; great for storage if not used for sleeping.
The cooker is behind the passenger seat (the seat folds up)
There is the original sink & drainer, with a foot operated water pump, behind the driver's seat, then the original coolbox behind this.

1600 Twin port recon engine for some time in the past which starts & goes really well.

I'll take some proper photos later today, so currently only have the one below.

I'm looking for a no hassle £10.5k if possible. I think it's worth this, looking at other, worse condition or non-original campers. Also the fact that they obviously appreciate in value every year. With a little more work, this would be worth a lot more, but I don't have to money or time.

The underside has had a few patches but is pretty good & original without the layers of paint or underseal to hide everything

It's got a recent MOT (march I think), is obviously tax exempt, but has a disc until 3/15. It also can't have done more than 5000 miles in the last 20 years ... probably less than this.
Current mileage is just over 62000 and I have no reason to believe that this isn't accurate since I've owned it for half of it's life and think the condition would be considerably worse if it had been around the clock before I bought it.

I'm in Fleet in Hampshire. Just off Jn 4A of the M3. Please reply to this thread if you have an interest or PM me for a mobile number.
Cheers, Gary

69_early_bay.JPG

I'll add more pictures ASAP

Thanks very much.

I got the roof-rack HERE a few years ago. As you can see, they still do them, although I didn't pay as much as they are now. I don't usually rate or endorse JK but this has been pretty good and is nice & solid.

HTH

Hello again. I've taken some pictures this evening & made a gallery.

You can see it >>HERE<< edit: this is a Flash gallery so won't work on apple & some mobiles. See my next posts for an alternative gallery.

Enjoy : )

Cheers for the heads-up. I'll fix it. Can you just check when I do. Think it might use Flash, which I forgot won't work on Apple

edit: Does this work? >>HERE<<

Hi, nice looking bus. I'm looking for early bay around this price as solid as poss. Can you tell me condition of front steps, floor pans, bottom 6 inches all round and general underside so I have an idea of work to do now and in future, seen some rotters so want to avoid wasting each others time as I'm not local. Appreciate it.

Hey, Rob

Sorry for delay in replying. I thought I'd get email notifications of this thread but see i forgot to tick the box. I'll do that now.

The van is pretty solid all round and underneath. It passed the MOT in march I think with no advisories on the bodywork.

However, there are some items that I intended to do if I was going to keep it.
The passenger side door has been repaired, leaving as much of the original door as poss. However, I'd probably re-skin the bottom half if I had the time.
I also bought the inner bottom of the front panel at a swap meet (the panel that fixes to the two front chassis members, behind the bumper) as this has been patched in the past and I'd like to replace it. As such, the outer panel of this would probably best be replaced at the same time.
All OK and solid though. I drive it daily'ish & camp with my family on the odd weekend.
The underside is pretty good with a few patches over the years, but it's all still 99% original & pretty solid for the age. Better than many I've seen over the years. The metal was better / thicker on these older vans. The later, mid 70s ones seemed to suffer more.

The clutch thrust bearing is making noise too but I have a whole new clutch / pressure plate / bearing which I will either do or supply, depending on the sale price.

I'll take some underside pictures now as well as some of each panel & post asap

Cheers

Gary

Hello again.
I've made another gallery of the underside (as best I can) and closer photos of the panels

>>HERE<<

The drivers side are all pretty good & straight. The passenger side panels are all solid, but a bit more 'frankenstein' : )
They could do with some dolly work (another of my 'to do' jobs)
The sliding door had the bottom replaced & was great, but the door fell off the runner whilst adjusting it & bent the bottom corner, which was really galling!! Looks worse in the photo. Most of the rusty stuff in the photos is surface or flaky sealer.

Ignore the photos of the wheels at the end. They were for sale but have now sold.

I can take more if needed.

Any other questions or anything else, please let me know.

Hello. Not been here for a while. Sorry about that. I decided to keep the camper last year but am once again looking to sell.
Please read the thread above for details.

Here are the gallery photo links so you don't have to search for them above:

http://3ftdeep.com/camper/1969_vw_dormobile_camper/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << this one is Flash based so won't work on Apple devices

http://3ftdeep.com/camper/1969_vw_dormobile_camper2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << these are the same photos as above but in a 'no flash' format

http://3ftdeep.com/camper/1969_vw_dormobile_camper_underside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updates are as follows:
Passed it's MOT at the beginning of April 2015 with 3 minor advisories, none of which were structural:
1. loose battery - it's been like this for the last 25 years at least. Same MOT station for the last 4 years & this year it fails?
2. Brake imbalance - just needed adjusting.
3. One ball joint boot split. I repaired it but also bought new ones to fit at some point.
That's it.

I've also bought an electronic ignition kit (to replace the points) which works well.
I also have 2 new plastic roof-lights for the pop-top. Not fitted yet as I want to get a couple of new hinges.

Some other things to mention. I intend to transfer the number plate, unless something happens to persuade me otherwise
I have a second buddy seat. My van never had them originally and I only had the fittings to fit one. The second one is in its original covering and will only be included if the price is right.
I also have some other spares that the same thing will apply to; if the price is right.

I hope that's OK

Please either reply to this thread or PM me.

Cheers

Gary

Latest posts