Fitting your own headlining ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyvolks73

Reaction score
Hi all ,
I was thinking of buying and fitting my own headlining ? Maybe one of the tmi or c&c heritage ones ?

What's the feeling on the task itself . I've heard some horror stories :-/ . Or should I just pay someone like newton ?

Cheers
John

Sent from Johns iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't do it
I had one fitted in my last bus. The chap done an amazing job! Such a skill !

My recent westy the bloke fitted his own headliner. Not a original wood one but tried to fit a material one.
Not a good job!
Of corse I removed this and fitted a birch one back in !

I wouldn't attempt fitting your own material headliner , leave it to the professional

Hi John
i take it yours is a full cloth head lining, if so dont be worried about doing it yourself i bought one off e-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-bay-window-camper-headlining-/231166587007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35d29a307f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got mine from Wonderland classics, came with loads of spare for sides,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bay-Baywindow-Camper-Kombi-Type-2-Headliner-/261398133705?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cdc8afbc9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and with the help of a mate fitted it in one day (dont forget to buy 4 cans of spray glue from supplier as well( only needed two but fitted bubble wrap insulation to roof while it was apart))
note when i asked about TMI one they don't come with extra material for around the windows! so check before you buy

also when doing liner all windows need to be out so it may need new seals if still origional ones and you may find rust under the old seals so its not just as simple as fitting a new one (did mine windows out minor rust cured, 1/3 rattle can repaint round bus, fit head liner new seals to all windows all done after work started 19days before Brighton last year and finnished weekend before went there). also new sun visors, and hinge covers, so budget for say £750 for all that whereas if you go somewhere they will probably charge you £750+ just to supply and fit the headliner without the rest being done.
if you do it yourself put in place on bows then stand back have a cup of tea and a fag then another cup of tea then start at it my mate let me do all the cutting started at about 9 and 90% completed by 3ish,
it realy looks daunting but is so satisfying once done have a look on my thread for some photos (nice interior shot in last months amper and Bus )
hope that helps
cheers Peter

Yeah very nice job ! Well my window rubbers are new and the van restored so no rust around the windows , only prob is I have already fitted my windows in :-/ oops I think I have jumped the gun a little .

No problem taking them out again though ,
I will ask about getting it fitted but if it's too costly I might just give it a go

Sent from Johns iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello
I ve just ordered a headlining and I'm going to give it a go fitting myself
Started stripping out the old one tonight I'm now wondering if I've done the right thing :lol:
I'll let you know how I get on
Norm :D

Latest posts