Fitting a Dormobile roof canopy - how do I get it right?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsyboy75

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've tried to fit a dormy canopy once and made a bit of a mess, cutting it too short rendering the shiny new vinyl useless :(

Following a long period of mourning, I've now bought a new new one (pricey...) and I'd like to get it right this time :)

I have the instructions from Dormobile but if anyone has any tips or more comprehensive instructions, pictures, advice I'd really appreciate it :)

Cheers

JB

It was a while ago but I seem to remember attaching it to the elevating roof first.

Next, with the roof open on its widest setting, the bellows material is attached to the roof of the bus using the alloy strips. Also used glue so the plastic was under even tension rather than being held only where the strips were attached to the body.

Finally the excess is trimmed off with a hooked blade.

Cheers for the info, it's exactly where to make the cuts that I'm after, I could do with some photos of someone else's project - I gave the instructional pics from dormobile but I want as much info as I can find before attempting it again!

Sorry but i really don't understand what you mean here.

It's attached first and the excess is trimmed off after.

It's not cut before fitting.

I'm after any hints or tips on how to get it right.

Last time I followed all the instructions, attached the long section first, then the sides, cut off the excess, put the roof on the bus and the thing was too loose at the top, too tight at the bottom and turned out to be irretrievable so I've bought a new one - I really don't want to muck it up again as they're pricey bits of Vinyl!

Hi

We've just ordered our canvas, having the same fear as you having read your original post. We have a friend helping who's done his. Hoping it will be done in the next few weeks, happy to post pics after if it helps?

Sarah

That would be fab - I may have a go next Friday though in which case I can advise you too :)

Hi

That would be fab! Having to order more window seals for roof as ones on it are leaking as we have found out today! :cry:

top tip for refitting the roof seals - make them slightly longer than it looks like they should be - they will squash in place.

If they are too short or exactly the right length they will shrink and leak (as mine did - never build a bus in a week, you'll make mistakes!).

I've used black mastik to seal them...

JB

Cheers for that! Woman we bought it off said they were new seals, but sliw consistent drip with all this weather! :roll:

Latest posts