Exhaust

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
I have a stainless mondo backbox with a scabby steel header, do I get a stainless header or go for the vintage speed exhaust?
I like the mondo but the VS does look tidy!

Nathan said:
I have a stainless mondo backbox with a scabby steel header, do I get a stainless header or go for the vintage speed exhaust?
I like the mondo but the VS does look tidy!

This thread may help you decide.

Are you making your decision based on power or looks?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=72383

Purely based on looks and sound, I've got a stainless header, the mondo is staying!

Vintage speeds look nice, apparently.... :| But are restrictive as hell. Don't get why people spend so much money on essentially a stock exhaust.

K@rlos said:
Vintage speeds look nice, apparently.... :| But are restrictive as hell. Don't get why people spend so much money on essentially a stock exhaust.

So would you say that if someone like the looks its worth getting the super flow version for a stock or mild engine then?

I have 1776 with a VS. I like that it looks stock-ish (as that's the look I've gone for on the bus) though it clearly is much freer flowing - the exit pipe is about 4 times the bore of a stock unit and the volume tells you that it isn't nearly as baffled. From my experience it is definitely no worse in performance than the 4-1 Empi I had on before, if anything I'd say its better. It's a neat fit, clears my tow bar, is a quality build and sounds good without being intrusive. I wouldn't change it at this stage.

On a similar thread to this there were reports of a VS being run on a high tune race car and of people who had significant gains by swapping to a 4-1 with a Turbo Thomas backbox (IIRC). I'd say you need to decide what you want from it - looks and comfortable volume with some extra ponies or ultimate performance at the cost of aesthetics.

Latest posts