engine bay noise reduction

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
not sure whether this should be in technical or not but...
I want to replace the black board I have in the engine bay roof which I'm guessing is some sort of noise reduction.
has anyone had any experience with 'Noise Killer' as seen in the back of VW camper & Bus?
http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/aclass_hymer_selfbuild_dodge_soundproofing.asp
£250 seems quite pricey and not sure if suitable for engine bay...
or there is the engine blanket stuff:
http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/materials.asp#blanket
Alternatively there is some Reimo stuff:
http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/M50024-schalldaemm_isolationsmatten/
a lot cheaper bu only for engine area.
Or is there any other recommendations?
I've already read a lot of links about insulating the inside using thermomat/ roof felt tape/ etc and the various arguments for/ against but I'm really after the engine bay area...
Thanks

http://Www.busandcamper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should have my abs engine ceiling panel kits in stock. Use them and get some pur foam panels from a hardware store to use in the areas where the plastic wrapped fiberglass which burns fast and easy!

ABS catches on fire after 30 + seconds of direct fire.... The press board.... In 10 seconds or less!

JM

thanks for the link - will check them out but not really sure exactly what you're on about catching fire/ press board and pure foam??
Could you explain to me as I'm not in the least knowledgable about this
Thanks

The original VW stuff was probably not very flame retardant - it was a painted fibre board material pop rivetted to the engine bay battens or cross members. The gap was then filled with what appears to be yellow fibreglass wadding wrapped in thin clear plastic - an attempt at water proofing. It was better than the split buses (which had nothing)

So what to do to replace this?

Before I stocked Werksberg I made a template for the engine bay panel out of peg board - ordinary cheap dark grey sheet - it worked but its not too fire resistant (if at all). However, now that I stock Werksberg's plastic ABS panels - I see these are a far superior fit, and even more importantly (as JM suggested) they are more fire resistant than the original fibre board or my peg board DIY effort. The ABS plastic is also stronger and longer lasting and is held in place with rivets.

Regardless of you final selection - the important thing is that the big sheet keeps whatever sound material you put on the roof of the engine bay in place over a long period of time and with plenty of heat cycles. Glued on sheet will fall down eventually. Rivets tend to last longer.

As for noise reduction - I bought some 1 inch thick acoustic foam (try Amazon) which can be easily cut to fit the gap. There are some products out there with a thick absorber material in the foam but from memory this is a tick thicker than the straight 1 inch stuff. Buy enough to fit the gaps. About an afternoons work to strip it out, clean it up and fit the new stuff. If you're worried about moisture getting into the foam (open cells) then a layer of plastic sheet will keep oil, dirt and water out of the foam. I keep big rolls of plastic sheet for inside the doors of my Bugs and Campers.

If the engine is out now is the time to invest some effort to dampen the sound - you will never kill the sound - just make it low enough to hear whats going on and quieter so you can have a normal conversation in the front without shouting.

Good luck,

AL

i made aluminium exact replicas as mine had warped and broke and the fact that i was fitting a firetec system, i reused the plastic wrapped original stuff as it was in perfect nick ,
RS components sell a 1" thick black sound deadening foam which is flame retardent

looks just the job...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=browseSubRange&Ne=4294953839&N=4294940144&productNum=0293091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I missing something? The panels over the fibreglass on my crossover are pressed perforated metal. I assume the must have changed them from the early bays?

mine is actually a 72 so a late bay and it had the presed cardboard

stodge said:
Am I missing something? The panels over the fibreglass on my crossover are pressed perforated metal. I assume the must have changed them from the early bays?
They are many ways that VW did the engine compartment panels:
early bays had inset 4 piece abestos panels (when I get the time, I'll be doing the early version too in ABS), then came the '68-'71 2 piece with 1 large panel, then '72 year only punched steel grates, then with the type 4 engine and engne hatch .... '73-'79 which my kit has all 4 pieces as there is a panel for the hatch too. Unlike oem...

Yes, the wood panel's are very flamible unlike the ABS but the know it ales at the Samba argues with me on if they have an engine fire, they would rather have wood instead of plastic there. It is back asswards in my opinion.... Replace your fuel lines regurally (or better yet, use steel hard lines and the lest amount of rubber efi fuel lines) and move fuel filter out of the engine compartment....

Latest posts