Empi shifter install and mod

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radish

Reaction score
I decided it was time to sort out my sloppy gear change and a gene berg wasn't 8n the budget. This was part of the problem!! So I bought a new one.

So then i found that gsf/veewee do empi shifters for £53 with one of their big discounts codes. For £53 it should be shit in some eyes but sometimes with a tweak they can become good,right?
So I read a lot that these are shit, I've had a couple over the years in beetles and have never been a problem. I also read that they have weak rivets holding them together so I drilled them out and replaced with m5 nut and bolts.

It also goes into all gears on first fit! From stirring a pudding bowl to a close ratio gear shift

So next time someone says they are shit, think again.

Cheers Darius

I agree. I think that they get a bad press but for what they cost I think they do a good job. I've had them on a couple of buses, no problem.

I've had mine fitted for a couple of years with no problems. The difference it makes is unbelievable. My mrs couldn't even think about driving the bus but no she has no problems. More beers for me in the pub. :lol:

I like the mod, I took mine out because I couldn't get reverse with it, I'll have a look at the rivets to see if they are loose.

Mark

Good idea with the rivets. Yeah, not gonna lie, I'll probably get a fancy one at some point but the gears on my bus were unusable then I fitted one of these I got cheap and it totally sorted it.

Looks awesome
Just one little query.....
What's your magic code to get money off, or where can I find one of my own?

Thanks
Matt

baxtermt said:
Looks awesome
Just one little query.....
What's your magic code to get money off, or where can I find one of my own?

Thanks
Matt
Its WEB40 till the end of today, for 40% off. Probably be a different code for 40% or similar off next weekend.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

I ran the bus to Ninove and almost back home and the gear changes are great. The exhaust breaking was the why I didn't make it home!

How easy are these to fit? Any tips? I've just ordered mine to come in time to fit this weekend but I'm a bit nervous that I take my old shifter out then fit the new and can't get any gears at all. :?

Welly said:
How easy are these to fit? Any tips? I've just ordered mine to come in time to fit this weekend but I'm a bit nervous that I take my old shifter out then fit the new and can't get any gears at all. :?

Doddle to fit, 10 mins and it may need another 10 mins fettling

Bobster said:
Welly said:

The 10 mins fettling is the bit that worries me, how do you fettle it?, I can only see 2 bolts so not sure where I go with adjustment?

Welly said:
Bobster said:
Welly said:

The 10 mins fettling is the bit that worries me, how do you fettle it?, I can only see 2 bolts so not sure where I go with adjustment?

Even with the two bolts they allow for some movement so you may have to losen off and move the shifter slightly until you can get all gears. It's a doddle honestly

Even with the two bolts they allow for some movement so you may have to losen off and move the shifter slightly until you can get all gears. It's a doddle honestly[/quote]

All sorted. You were right, pretty easy. Cheers

Latest posts