Don't see many of these...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst on holiday in Gozo/Malta spotted this Ford Cortina, 1970's?
b41e1c1e119493d06f3bd6da3607d58f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

An original Bedford CF complete with slanty type motor and draughts up your inside leg from the engine cover. I’ve had several of these over the years as vans and little pickups and the next model too which was the CF2. That one does look to be a thing of beauty, check out the air con.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,other wise known as sliding doors :) :cool::)

An original Bedford CF complete with slanty type motor and draughts up your inside leg from the engine cover. I’ve had several of these over the years as vans and little pickups and the next model too which was the CF2. That one does look to be a thing of beauty, check out the air con.

I had a couple of these in the 80s. One had the bottom sliding door bracket broken, so it would swing out on the roundabout at the bottom of New Cheltenham Road in particular.

Whilst on holiday in Gozo/Malta spotted this Ford Cortina, 1970's?
b41e1c1e119493d06f3bd6da3607d58f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
My old fella had a couple of these back in the 70’s, rear lights were really cool. We also had a Hillman Hunter as a hire car when we were in Gozo over 40yrs ago. Lovely island 👍

I once drove a Bedford CF diesel-engined pickup during my 1976 university summer-vacation job at the Mobil Oil Company's Research & Technical Service Laboratory, where I worked in the Bitumen Section. The rest of my section came home drunk after lunch at the local pub where they had some topless go-go dancers, so I got the job of fetching test samples from inside the nearby Coryton refinery complex in Essex, wherein petrol-engined vehicles were prohibited.

During the late-1980s, I also occasionally drove a Bedford CF petrol-engined van (had an exceptionally heavy clutch!) as part of my duties at Kingsway Group, Central Laboratories, located on the Celcon AAC Blocks factory-site, in Grays, Essex.

I don't think either of the Bedford CFs that I drove, had any form of air-conditioning, but they might have had a heater!

I once drove a Bedford CF diesel-engined pickup during my 1976 university summer-vacation job at the Mobil Oil Company's Research & Technical Service Laboratory, where I worked in the Bitumen Section. The rest of my section came home drunk after lunch at the local pub where they had some topless go-go dancers, so I got the job of fetching test samples from inside the nearby Coryton refinery complex in Essex, wherein petrol-engined vehicles were prohibited.

During the late-1980s, I also occasionally drove a Bedford CF petrol-engined van (had an exceptionally heavy clutch!) as part of my duties at Kingsway Group, Central Laboratories, located on the Celcon AAC Blocks factory-site, in Grays, Essex.

I don't think either of the Bedford CFs that I drove, had any form of air-conditioning, but they might have had a heater!

My insinuation was that the hook up of the draughts from around the engine cover connected to driving with the sliding cab doors open was more than enough to compensate for air con . I don’t think any of the 60s or 70s Brit commercials had air con, very very few of the cars did if any at all.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,firmly clenched tongue in cheek :)

My old fella had a couple of these back in the 70’s, rear lights were really cool. We also had a Hillman Hunter as a hire car when we were in Gozo over 40yrs ago. Lovely island 👍

Malta had a unique British Empire coin - the one-third farthing (not to be confused with the half farthing or one-quarter farthing), of which one would need 3 x 4 x 240 (i.e. 2,880) to equal one pound Sterling. I have at least one specimen in my collection of coins, of the British Commonwealth, Colonies, Protectorates & Mandates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_farthing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_farthing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_farthing
Malta elected to become part of the British Empire in 1814, after we British helped them to turf out the French intruders, just a year before the 1815 Battle of Waterloo, which ended the European & Mediterranean rampage by that Corsican trouble-maker Napoleon Bonaparte, who was subsequently exiled to St. Helena, a remote British Crown Dependency island in the south Atlantic, where he died in 1821, which coincidentally corresponds to the ONLY mintage year of the St. Helena half-penny, of which I have a few die variants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena
sthel-k4-2.jpg

One of the cars in which I learned to drive during 1973~74, was a Hillman Hunter, which had its handbrake lever between the driver's seat and driver's door.

My parent's and I had a holiday in Malta & Gozo during 1968, when Mary Hopkin was heard repeatedly on the radio, singing "Those were the days". I rather liked that song, but I have yet to acquire a copy for my collection of compilation audio-cassettes, to be played on the Blaupunkt Toronto SQR46 radio (FM-VHF plus long, medium & short wave) cum cassette player, in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

1799487.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Were_the_Days_(song)
https://genius.com/Mary-hopkin-those-were-the-days-lyrics
My father didn't hire a car there, but instead we travelled on the local public-transport buses, whose routes all radiated out from Valetta. Locally assembled RHD Triumph Herald cars were commonly seen there, super ceded a few years later by locally assembled RHD Triumph Toledos, similar to my British built 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special".

Latest posts