DIY Interior.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66nige

Reaction score
Hi all, just trying to gleen some info or even a bit of enthusiasm to set about making interior units for my 68. I've been on the look out for some second hand stuff for quite some time, alas to no avail :( .I just missed out on a full westy one.. quite local too, a couple of weeks ago. Now the problem i have is i'd rather see the period type interior like the Westy, but these are demanding terrific amounts of money second hand. If i was to put together a full interior from different sellers, what with the travelling to pick up as well, it would come to a tidy sum, or if lucky enough to find a full interior, the prices are out of my budget. So, with all that considered i have now decided that i could probably make a copy Westy interior from scratch, the laminated chipboard is readily available, maybe not exact colour copy but i'm not too fussed tbh, as are the plastic trims and handles etc.
Now i am quite handy with things and i'm sure i could make one, but, i'm just looking for any pointers, ideas or even photos of your own DIY efforts.
I'm not looking to make an exact replica of a westy but maybe a variation of one with a period look. It all comes down to ££ i'm afraid, and with the start of our planned trips only a few weeks away, and loads to buy....i need help!!! :shock:
Any info or advice would be most welcome.
Thanks Nige.

Mine's definitely not a westy and definitely is home made but I like showing my van off so if it helps you, here are some pics of mine.

P4170813_zpserk2bafy.jpg

P4170814_zpsz5vtsbgr.jpg

P4170817_zpsd3go9wxw.jpg

madman said:
Mine's definitely not a westy and definitely is home made but I like showing my van off so if it helps you, here are some pics of mine.

P4170813_zpserk2bafy.jpg

P4170814_zpsz5vtsbgr.jpg

P4170817_zpsd3go9wxw.jpg

Appreciate the input mate, how much do you think it cost to make, excluding bed which i already have.

Fridge was second hand for about £35, cooker came with the van when I bought it and the sink was only a few quid second hand. Can't remember how much the wood cost me, I just bought it from B&Q as I needed it. It is basic white furniture board. The rear top locker I made from ply, mdf and hardboard so wasn't expensive, handles were from B&Q as well. Total cost? No idea, not that expensive though.

this is what i did for mine, cheapo BQ units base units for the fridge and big cupboarad and wall units because they are not as deep for the set back ones, theres a lift up lid in the top of the narrow unit for access into the end part for coats/towels wash stuff tec.
[photobucket] [/photobucket]

the only thing might change is to put a half door in the middle narrow cupboard front to make it easier to get clothes out, thats basically the size of two 15kg suit cases so ideal for most of our clothes.

busdiver said:
this is what i did for mine, cheapo BQ units base units for the fridge and big cupboarad and wall units because they are not as deep for the set back ones, theres a lift up lid in the top of the narrow unit for access into the end part for coats/towels wash stuff tec.

the only thing might change is to put a half door in the middle narrow cupboard front to make it easier to get clothes out, thats basically the size of two 15kg suit cases so ideal for most of our clothes.

Thats a real smart job that mate :D

It took me a long time to find stuff as well. Unfortunately I'm not so good at making things (better at fixing them), but if you want to to look like west furniture the place to start is with the hardware. hinges, clips etc Ask on here and latebay and see what you come up with...

Out of interest, would you be interested in a Dormobile interior? I'm thinking about pulling my one out at present. What I would have available is the whole side kitchen unit, table and seating/bed area (which I extended through added cushions to be a full width bed as opposed to 3/4 - a common upgrade). It includes, by design, an under bed storage area over the engine cover. I may also have a buddy seat available too. All in matching white vinyl with blue contrast piping and a blue panel.

One cupboard has been modified into a fridge apeture and the cool box is a bit leaky but easily repairable/useable if you line it first.

Zcat7 said:
Out of interest, would you be interested in a Dormobile interior? I'm thinking about pulling my one out at present. What I would have available is the whole side kitchen unit, table and seating/bed area (which I extended through added cushions to be a full width bed as opposed to 3/4 - a common upgrade). It includes, by design, an under bed storage area over the engine cover. I may also have a buddy seat available too. All in matching white vinyl with blue contrast piping and a blue panel.

One cupboard has been modified into a fridge apeture and the cool box is a bit leaky but easily repairable/useable if you line it first.
Hi, yes we may be interested. If you could send me some pictures with a price i'll have a look.
Cheers Nige

Zcat7 said:

Hi, I'd also be interested depending on condition and location, we've got a dorma with the original interior and could do with a few parts repairing/replacing.

busdiver said:
So Nige what did you end up with which way did you go in the end, I'm intrigued

Hi mate, after a long time trying to find a decent westy interior i temporarily gave up and made my own. We were getting to the holiday stage so we just needed something useable at least until the winter.

I did intend to also make a cupboard behind the passenger seat with a fold down buddy seat (made out of a shower seat) onthe far side, but haven't got around to that yet! :cry:

Latest posts