Dealing with surface rust on the undercarriage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iknowdavehouse

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The undercarriage of my bay is pretty rusty, theres thankfully no holes or structural weaknesses that I can spot but the surface rust is significant...very rough to the touch and widespread. What are my the best options?

Rub / sand / grind it down OR use some kid of rust inhibitor gel?

Then use something like Dinitol or Waxoyl?

Cant offer much advice on the actual rust prep/removal but id recommend dinitrol for the after part.

Waxoyl is old hat. Dinitrol ML in all cavities and everywhere then 4941 over the top gives a nice OEM look.

Waxoyl just attracts dirt, is a pain to spray if its not hot. Dinitrol ML sprays at any temp and 4941 I just put in a warm water bucket before using. Cheaper to borrow a compressor if you don't have one and buy a Shultz gun. You can get it in spray can but for an entire van it'd cost quite a lot. I never bothered putting anything down on the drive and only had a few drips. Did the same with waxoyl once and it was like an icerink for months :D

That's great info thanks, I'm always tossing up the learning to do it myself / pay someone to do it debate. I don't have a drive or a garage, always parked up on a public road so anything that involves getting under the van is normally a bit of a pain (and to be honest a little risky). Cheers again

These people are supposed to be good if you get it done professionally:

http://www.rust.co.uk/

Latest posts