Clutch release bearing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba bug

Reaction score
Howdy,
Am I OK using a later style release bearing on an earlier box? It doesn't have the guide tube fitted to the bell housing, it does clip on to the arm quite well though?

What's your thoughts?
Ta.

Fit the guide tube or you will have issues - have completed the conversion myself and wouldnt do half a job especially as your engine must be out of the way
Have you altered the standard pressure plate to accept the late type release bearing too?

I've brought a clutch kit and it came with a later release bearing. I have got an earlier style bearing, so I could use that?

Here are some pics of my conversion - does it look similar?

Consists of the following

Late Bay Clutch release bearing,
Guide tube and heavy duty actuating arm (including new bushes)
Ring removed from early pressure plate to suit new release bearing

Pressure plate before removing the early adaptor ring

And with the ring out

Fitted the guide tube by removing the front seal on the gearbox using a screwdriver - just rip it out
You then hammer/push the guide in (its an interference fit) using some wood to stop the guide tube deforming and later coming loose
There is an oil seal installed in the tube

I got my guide tube from here

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=11100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250-dscf2127.jpg

Release bearing (late type) from here

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=624&xSec=358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250-dscf0229.jpg

The heavy duty operating shaft and guide bushes from here

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250-dscf4864.jpg

Its well worth doing it properly - I had a catastrophic failure of the early release bearing which provoked the change and left us stranded after Busfest

That's what you call catastrophic!

Does the guide tube come with an input shaft seal?

Yep the guide has the input shaft seal on the inside and the exterior is ridged and mine hasnt leaked

You can see which seal to remove on this pic

That comes out and the guide gets installed in its place

Do you have the late style pressure plate?

The early one looks a little like this - although mine was destroyed

Not sure if the late style bearing will work with the early pressure plate?

You can also see on this pic where the early release bearing failed - one of the attachment ears/bearings sheared off inside the bell housing

I have a later clutch and I reckon the guide tube is the way forward, thanks for your help!

As above. Use either the old or the newer system. Don't mix them up.

Personally I prefer the later diaphragm clutch because it gives a lighter pedal action.

Latest posts