Clutch cable clip - pedal end

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone ever replaced the clip on the clutch cable where it meets the pedal? :)

I had one (on the left in the pic below) wear completely through on my van while we were on holiday in Spain... At the time, I bodged it with an M6 bolt and continued the journey. I assume the one that failed was original to the van - so it failed after what I believe to be at least 258000 miles of driving.

I bought another, and found the pin had a lot of freedom of movement relative to the clip. Probably able to move 10-20 degrees or more. Upon fitting it, it failed on the first time of pressing the clutch - the pin became separate from the clip.

DSC_4128.jpg

In fairness to Just Kampers, who supplied it - they sent me another one which arrived within 24hrs of me phoning them (thanks again :)). However, this one has the same amount of play in it - the pin can wiggle a good 10-20 degrees of rotation relative to the clip.

Has anyone had this problem, or used a repro (with a similar amount of play) without issue? :)
I'm very tempted to weld the pin to the clip, but I assume it is meant to have some freedom to rotate...

Thanks,
Jim.

should not have any play check your old one its just the usual repro crap that's out there

Aye, the old one had no play but could rotate. I don't know how important it being able to rotate is... otherwise I could just weld the pin to the clip.

I'll give JK a call in the morning :)

there are two sorts, a long and a short. SHort is up to 71 and long is 72 on. I think the top two on your pic look like the long ones, the bottom looks shorter?

oh and the one tha JK list as 67-79 is actually the 72-79. For a 71 you probably want: Clutch Cable Clip for VW T2 Splits 1955–1967 and Bays 1967–1971
JK Part Number: J14288

67westy said:
there are two sorts, a long and a short. SHort is up to 71 and long is 72 on. I think the top two on your pic look like the long ones, the bottom looks shorter?

I think the reason my one looks shorter is that it failed - the pin wore all the way through, the clutch pedal effectively wore it to the point where it failed :lol:

The clip I've bought matches the old one in all dimensions that are still intact on the original - all 3 in the picture are the same (longer one), the bottom just looks shorter as it's at a different angle.

Thanks,
Jim :)

67westy said:
Does it clip over the metal collar on the cable?

Yes - as far as I remember, it did fits perfectly (other than the problem where it failed!) onto the metal collar - I'd need to double check to be sure. :)

This is the short one on the heritage site: http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Clutch-cable-linkage-pin-55-71-short-211721351_act_shop.product_pID_181900_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Difficult to tell from the pictures whether the pins are different sizes:

181900_01_med.jpg

135063_01_med.jpg

Indeed. :)

The one I removed (left/top of my photo) from my van is definitely the longer style one. The two new ones are the same dimensions as the one I removed :)

I'll double check it fits onto the metal collar, but either way, I'm more concerned about the play between the pin and the clip. The original has no play in it even after a minimum of 7 years use (and probably 42!)

Here you go - I've got several genuine NOS ones, 211 721 351 A.
These are correct for August '69 to end July '71 RHD and August '71 on for both RHD and LHD.
Price £2 each (postage extra) and I'm in Bristol too.
ALL NOW SOLD
986148.jpg

Apologies for the hijack, but I'll take one of those vwed. £1.50 Paypal as gift OK? Let me know your payment details. Thanks.

vwed said:
Here you go - I've got several genuine NOS ones, 211 721 351 A.
These are correct for August '69 to end July '71 RHD and August '71 on for both RHD and LHD.
Price £1 each (postage extra) and I'm in Bristol too.
986148.jpg
got thanks

Latest posts