Clutch, cable, bowden or pressure plate?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
driving home I found myself at a roundabout, unable to select a gear. Was running fine, no clutch slip and easy gear selection 5 seconds before. gear selection works fine with the engine off, but it seems like the clutch inset disengaging. the cable seems fine, bowden tube had the right sort of size kink in it. Clutch cable is adjusted ok (to point or resistance when measured at the pedal). From underneath the cable on gearbox moves about 22mm when the clutch is fully depressed.

Any ideas folks, would rather not pull the engine......(accept I might have to)? Anything else I should check and does the above measurement sound ok?

thanks

Did you drive it and change gears without using the clutch? I have done that a few times with a broken cable etc. It does seem strange but the only thing I can think of is if the thrust bearing has disintegrated or come adrift from the fork. You might even be able to see this through the hole where the fork enters the bell housing. I'm guessing you have a little free play somewhere or you may have worn your fingers out.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Interesting

Thanks Ozziedog - yes I did drive it without the clutch - kind of. Thing is, its like there just isnt enough travel in the clutch. Once in gear with the clutch depressed I can be stationary, then lift clutch to pull away......

Having written that, and thought about it, I'm wondering now if its in the gear change or alignment......I'll have a look for anything odd tonight

gear selection works fine with the engine off. Took engine out last night and found the spring on the pressure plate had collapsed. Easy fix (but sure is annoying!)

:mrgreen: So was it the fingers on the plate or the springs or the ring that sits on the fingers obviously depending on which clutch you are running. Some problems will roll on and on and on, a bit like my posts :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,, glad you found it easily enough.

Latest posts