Camshaft knowledge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-me

Reaction score
Hi, I had a 1914 engine built 3/4 years ago for my Danbury camper. It drives well but it drives best when flooring it, from 2000 rpm up. Looking into the spec now, it has an Engle 130 cam, which had now been advised not the best choice for a van.

Having said that it cruises at 70 at 3500 rpm. It's not a daily driver but I'm thinking I'd like to get better lower end pull from 1000 rpm up.

It shows when hovering between 3 and 4 gears, other gears good. But this shift is key when cruising. I want to pull up hills earlier in 4th as I have to drop down to 3rd a fair bit to get the revs up.

Just want advice on whether I should change and suggestions please. Not a problem of blame.

Cheers

Al

What heads have you got fitted?
What gearbox are you running? This can be an issue with 6 rib 'boxes.
I'm using a C-35 in my 2054 with stock size valve heads that have been match ported and flowed. It's perfectly driveable around town or cruising on motorways. And when I want to give it some beans it pulls all the way to the rev limit in any gear.

Hi Sparky, thanks for response. I've got a Cogbox high ratio 002 gearbox. Engine spec

AS 41 Mag case
69mm counterweight crank
bug pack vw rods
engle 130 cam
cromoly push rods
bolt up rocker shafts
1.25:1 rockers
CB performance 044 heads
St Steel vales, 40mm inlet, 35.5 exhaust
40mm webbers
Bore 94mm, stroke 69mm
deck height 1.5mm
cyl head cc 58
compression ratio 8.1

As said, it's the changing down mainly 4-3, 3-2, when (I think) if i had a little more low end torque it would be preferable. It's not undriveable at all but could it be more driveable? I will be talking to my builder about it but I'd appreciate a little more knowledge before I do.

Cheers

Al

I would normally recommend a 110 for a bus or if your using ratio rockers an FK 7 works well.

jonboylaw said:
And those heads are not going to help low end torque as the ports are quite large which slows the flow a low lift/low revs. See my posting on heads for more details.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Good point.

Thanks guys, sorry for slow response. I'm not going to change the heads but as suggested a cam change would be a definite suggestion? Is there a different suggestion now? I'm just trying to get my head round all of this.

Al

Thanks Karlos. you and Trikky are on the same page so will probably go down that route.

Thanks Trikky too

Hi

I've got a Web 218 in by bus with stock ratio rockers (2054 with 044 supermags) C/R 8.5:1 and it is fantastic, such a torquey cam with a nice spread of power to about 5500rpm- great for a bus in my opinion, maybe worth a look- I got mine from Jim at Stateside Tuning.

I also had an Engle 110 in my bug (1776cc) and was also very good with nice power delivery! Good luck with the build!

2 of my mates have 110's in their buses and they pull really well from about 1500 to 5500 ish.
Luke's 1776 made 100hp with twin 40'a and a set of ported stock heads.

Latest posts