Buy a bike

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a touring bike online. Don't want to spends thousands and have seen this in Halfords.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -bike-2015

If the link doesn't work its a Carrera reduced to 199 quid. Don't want to do any mountain bike stuff this us for basic fitness. So I know some people are in to their bikes just want some advice.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-parva-limited-edition-mens-hybrid-bike-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this works

At 19kg this is a very heavy bike. As with all things, you get what you pay for. I'd be looking at paying at least £450 for an entry level hybrid bike that will actually be nice to ride.

True. I have been looking at bikes 10kg lighter. I am going to use it for a bit of fizz. So thought it would be ok. Max distance I would be riding is about 30 miles

I have a willier in mint condition I would sell for £500 it was 800+ new and not done much

thejinx said:
True. I have been looking at bikes 10kg lighter. I am going to use it for a bit of Paris shuttle transfers fizz. So thought it would be ok. Max distance I would be riding is about 30 miles

Yes, Weight of a bike is an impotant factor. Driving a Heavy weight Bike is more easy.

30 miles is a long way on a heavy bike. What's your absolute max budget?

Also keep a little by in your budget for some cycling shorts, you don't have to go full lycra as you can get normal looking shorts but make sure they have some padding!
And get lights...
And a helmet!!

This thread was showing earlier and I posted I it but it has disappeared.
I have a giant defy 5 M/L frame only covered a bout 100-150 miles also has a top notch one23 front and rear light. £350 if your interested.

Gents, ladies

Cheers for the advice and offers of bikes. Budget tight at the moment so I will put a bit more away over the next few months. What ever happened to jumping on your Grifter and bombing down the road

Good idea. Second hand is a good idea too but make sure you know what size you roughly need and get a bike that fits you. :)

Does you're employer participate in the cycle to work scheme?

thejinx said:
Gents, ladies

Cheers for the advice and offers of bikes. Budget tight at the moment so I will put a bit more away over the next few months. What ever happened to jumping on your Grifter and bombing down the road

I'm not sure if it's an option for you but my work was part of a cycle to work scheme that made a bike I couldn't have justified paying for a much more reasonable proposition. If your work isn't already a member, it's really for them to sign up for.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if the 19kg is a typo as there is an Apollo hybrid 129-99 all steel construction and that is listed at 15kg , I'd go and have a look at it in person, if this is your budget it doesn't look too bad.

it's definitely worth trying a few bikes out, if you get the right bike you'll enjoy it and keep going, crap bike or too small/big and you'll hate it and it'll end up at the back of the shed. Carrera do some half decent bikes, compare them like for like with big names and you'll see that some of what you pay for is 'brand tax'. If you can get it thru a cycle scheme even better, half decent bike, some extras(helmet, dayglo lycra etc) and you're laughing. Good luck with your search. p.s. we have a good record in cycle sports 'coz of grifters etc, they weighed a ton :shock: and were a good start to training :lol: )

As others have said, £200 is quite a tight budget - to be honest, I'd avoid Carrera if you can. The BTwin range at Decathlon seem to get good write ups, though have never tried one myself.

I'd tend to agree that second hand is a good option, but be careful, there's some real shite on eBay at that price

I tend not to think there is 'brand tax' per se but I'm afraid you do generally get what you pay for. Big brands such as Trek and Scott etc do wide ranges and bargains can be found by buying end of year lines but you'll probably have to buy online which means fitting and after sales service are ruled out.
Some Halfords brands are fine such as Boardman but I'd avoid Carrera and Appollo. My bikes were bought online and we're both old stock and I saved loads so its worth doing :)

Latest posts