Breakdown Recovery ......which one is recommended

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
Eh up fellas.

My AA cover is up for renewal in the new year and the AA have just sent the renewal reminder through the post.
For cover in any vehicle for my self if am a passenger or driver giving me roadside assistance and recovery to onward destination has gone up to a wopping £139.99!!!

I know they probably inflate their prices and hope that the average joe does not read the letter and renews automatically.

We have been very fortunate and have not needed to call them out once yet,have not driven the van much in the last couple of years (engine issues as you may all recall) but did have a couple of butt clenching moments where i was lucky i carried some tools and was able to nurse the van home.
So in light of that and the last couple of years i have rang them back and questioned the price they gave me discount and on the last four years i have paid less than £90 all in,so why do they keep hitting me with inflated prices??

Does anyone recommend another service or is the AA the best option??
I want the same cover for myself in any vehicle (which covers the 45 yr old van) i believe RAC have a time limit??

Regards.

Sharky.

This any good?
Auto Aid

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk to your insurers.
My insurance with Peter Best includes unlimited breakdown cover. I think they've sent me the AA every time :oops:

This only covers my bus, mind.

I was sick to death of the AA putting the price up every year :evil: then having to call up to get it reduced so have gone for a change this year.
Mate of mine recommended them and they appear to have great reviews as well.................. haven't had to use them yet but will see :D
http://www.motoringassist.com/breakdown-cover/classic-vehicle-breakdown-cover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been with Gem (as above) for a few years now, but never had to call them out yet ! :)

cooky73 said:
This any good?
Auto Aid

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have just glanced this and for £69 for super saver all in recovery,home start etc etc it seems too good to be true?
Only concern is it 's for specified vehicle only.

Have to add i looked at the sister company Autonational.

On the home page...

"You’ll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving"

Never called 'em out yet but I have used GEM before when I had a T3 Westy and they were fine...

cooky73 said:
On the home page...

"You’ll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving"

Never called 'em out yet but I have used GEM before when I had a T3 Westy and they were fine...

Another vote here for GEM, had them for myself and my daughter for the last 3 years, price is good and they are highly recomended, but as of yet I have had no first hand experience. (Luckily!! :D )

I have always used the RAC, they are always very quick to respond and will attempt to fix it if they can. you may have it in your policy, but check the detail to make sure its full recovery, not just a 10 mile tow.

For pretty much what you've been asked to pay for your breakdown cover, I can insure my van and a V8 saloon with engine/gearbox mods AND that insurance includes European breakdown cover...

I'm with the rac, never had a problem with them, cover me and the Mrs in any car, home or away Inc towing including the bus (72) think we pay £ 8 or £9 something, per month, although think there us a call out limit something like 10 or so call outs per year, which I believe all the main company's have written into the contract now, not many people even know this, not sure what happens after you reach that, although rac is a bit like insurance as you get no claims discount each year. If it starts to get too pricey I just ring up and have a moan and generally it goes back down a bit lol

Latest posts