Breakdown cover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judge_smudge

Reaction score
Hi - sorry if this going over old ground but I have found out that Auto Aid don't cover my van for breakdown (because its left hand drive) - even though they said it was fine last year!

I need UK cover but am also off to France in August so need Euro cover as well - I tried my insurer (2gether) and will only do UK cover for £55 (van too old for European), I tried Heritage but they said they will only do it as part of there insurance - which goes against what has been posted previously here.

Footman James do it for £55 - are they any good?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Unfortunately the costs of cancelling my insurance mean I can't / won't change my cover as RH seem to be ideal for including cover as part of there insurance.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Heritage insured us when we went to ninove this year and they do single trip cover, I'd call them again.

Hiya, I have been with 2gether breakdown for the last 3 years and they have insured the bus no problem. On their breakdown section of their web site they say they will insure vehicles of any age. I would give them another call. Whatever you choose though I would suggest to make sure that they recover the bus to the UK. Cheers Andy.

Kyrk72 said:
Hiya, I have been with 2gether breakdown for the last 3 years and they have insured the bus no problem. On their breakdown section of their web site they say they will insure vehicles of any age. I would give them another call. Whatever you choose though I would suggest to make sure that they recover the bus to the UK. Cheers Andy.

Thanks Andy, they have insured my bus with no issue, it was just the Euro breakdown they would not do for vehicles over a certain age. Sorry just reread my post! Insurance is all fine - its the breakdown cover I was trying to resolve :?

Thought I would ring Autoaid again to clarify the breakdown situation as there website quotes it won't cover "left hand drive American cars", reiterated that my van was European design, built in US and imported over. They have confirmed that I am covered for breakdown in the UK!

Will try Heritage again for the European bit.

Hi again Judge smudge (Andrew), to clarify my bus insurance is with Cherished, and the breakdown cover with 2gether !!!!!!!!!!.

Been with them for 3 years, been to Europe 6 times so I have no idea what their problem is with your bus.

About 3 years ago they had a banner as on VZI and a discounted deal going as they were targeting the aircooled, so something must have change recently. I suppose I will find out in Oct when I renew.
Cheers Andy

Hi Judge Smudge, I thought you might be posting that. Still I got a few months until the current policy expires.

Who did you go with in the end?

Cheers Andy

Cherished are still doing breakdown cover as part of their policy as when I renewed in April it was all sorted, they had an issue that the breakdown service wouldnt cover the cost of repatriation of your vehicle back to the UK but thats now been resolved.

Graham L said:
Cherished are still doing breakdown cover as part of their policy as when I renewed in April it was all sorted, they had an issue that the breakdown service wouldnt cover the cost of repatriation of your vehicle back to the UK but thats now been resolved.

As above, I renewed in April with Cherished, and had no problem getting EU cover included.

I wonder whether the problem is that insurers are reluctant to provide breakdown cover as a standalone policy. No profit in that, perhaps?

I went with RAC as a personal family cover. Means me and the Mrs are covered for any vehicle we are driving or are a passenger in, and as far as I could see, the camper meets the requirements set out in the terms and conditions.

Graham L said:

Good news indeed, I had both my insurance and breakdown with cherished and only changed the breakdown part after cherished could not provied the repatriation I wanted "just in case" of a severe problem.

Well done to cherished for getting it sorted.

Latest posts