Brake Fluid Filler to Master Cylinder Hose - What is special about it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
I am trying to source the hose / pipe that goes from the brake fluid filler reservoir under the dash to the Master Cylinder reservoir.

All the usual suppliers are out of stock:

https://www.vwheritage.com/211611805e-pipe-between-reservoirs-t2-68-72-lhd-non-servo-831mm

Plus it seems expensive.

What is special about it, can I just use some normal rubber hose (which is brake fluid resistant) with an internal diameter of 10mm and some Jubilee clips?

Or even better, some clear plastic hose?

:sign0009:

I've just been through the same situation and I opted for this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190885486578

12mm black 1m. Fitted really well and 1m was enough for my bus

I believe this is the stuff people recommend as it is a slightly better fit than the 12mm. Pretty sure I used it on our old van and had no problems - it does away with the fittings at each end of the connecting pipe and instead just pushes straight onto the nipples with some jubilee or similar clips.

http://hoseworld.com/cgi-bin/sh000029.pl?WD=epdm&PN=12%2d5mm%2dI%2dD%2d%2dEPDM%2dRubber%2dTubing%2dEPDM_12_5%2ehtml#SID=154

its not under pressure so if its fuel/brake fulid resistant it would be fine. mine doenst even have clips, its just pushed on, been like that from the factory

Thank you for confirmation gents! :party0006:

I will just get some resistant hose along with Jubilee clips just to be certain it is secure.

Moseley said:
I believe this is the stuff people recommend as it is a slightly better fit than the 12mm. Pretty sure I used it on our old van and had no problems - it does away with the fittings at each end of the connecting pipe and instead just pushes straight onto the nipples with some jubilee or similar clips.

http://hoseworld.com/cgi-bin/sh000029.pl?WD=epdm&PN=12%2d5mm%2dI%2dD%2d%2dEPDM%2dRubber%2dTubing%2dEPDM_12_5%2ehtml#SID=154

Ah, thanks, I was wondering if I still needed to use the extra rubber 'collars' in-case they did something 'magical'.

That link does not seem to work properly though. :anim_20:

cunning plan said:
Thank you for confirmation gents! :party0006:

I will just get some resistant hose along with Jubilee clips just to be certain it is secure.

Moseley said:

Ah, thanks, I was wondering if I still needed to use the extra rubber 'collars' in-case they did something 'magical'.

That link does not seem to work properly though. :anim_20:

Weird. I just tried copying and pasting the link again on my iPad rather than laptop and it does the same...? If you go to hoseworld.com and search for 12.5mm edpm hose you should get it. Got to order myself some also, someone has kindly fitted rubber joining hoses to ours and I have to keep giving them a wipe as the fluid weeps through! :lol:

Moseley said:
Weird. I just tried copying and pasting the link again on my iPad rather than laptop and it does the same...? If you go to hoseworld.com and search for 12.5mm edpm hose you should get it. Got to order myself some also, someone has kindly fitted rubber joining hoses to ours and I have to keep giving them a wipe as the fluid weeps through! :lol:

I got it working by putting 'www' at the start. I think their server is not setup to accept non-'www' requests.

Johnny said:
>>Hoseworld<<

correct link to the tubing above

Thanks!

The problem with that tubing is that it does not specify that it is suitable for use with Brake Fluid. I thought 'EPDM' might be a special type of resistant rubber, but it is just a 'type' of rubber, not specifically resistant to brake fluid. :cry:

EPDM is the same rubber used in the high quality window seals. i have no idea if its fluid resistant. Are those the correct dimensions though? 12.5 ID?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Resistant-Marine-fuel-hose-ISO7840-13mm-bore-x-0-305m-12-long-1-57803-/180691175120?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Johnny said:
EPDM is the same rubber used in the high quality window seals. i have no idea if its fluid resistant.

From reading the Wikipedia entry for 'EPDM' it is not resistant to brake fluid. :(

Johnny said:
Are those the correct dimensions though? 12.5 ID?

With a calliper, I measured the small black rubber boot that goes between the master cylinder reservoir and the remote fill reservoir and it was 10mm in diameter. I would assume a 12mm might be OK with a Jubilee clip or similar squeezing it in, but I do not think any bigger would be suitable.

Johnny said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Resistant-Marine-fuel-hose-ISO7840-13mm-bore-x-0-305m-12-long-1-57803-/180691175120?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Thanks, but again, it does not specifically state suitable for brake fluid.

I am beginning to realise why the original / proper pipe is so expensive. :?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMOTE-BRAKE-FLUID-RESERVOIR-HOSE-10mm-ID-Sold-by-the-Foot-see-description-/331424736939?hash=item4d2a7426ab:m:mswAiecmJnXlYSbQG13E4bQ is OK, but for that price when you add together the length you need plus shipping, I might as well just get the official one.

:|

"Buy the Best, Cry Once" ~Gene Berg ;)

how much would a brake fluid leak down the bulk head and under your seat cost to put right?

I've got a spare metre of the EPDM stuff from hoseworld, it was reccomended to me and has been in situ for 18 months so far with no problems. If you want it feel free to come get it from Leeds or just pay postage!

cunning plan said:
Johnny said:
EPDM is the same rubber used in the high quality window seals. i have no idea if its fluid resistant.

From reading the Wikipedia entry for 'EPDM' it is not resistant to brake fluid. :(

It doesn't mention brake fluid on the Wikipedia entry?

Anyway, I just looked up the drawings for the brake hoses on the car I'm working on designing ATM :)

"EPDM-PVA-PVA-EPDM" Meaning from the outside of the hose- layer of EPDM, then 2 x layers of PVA, then another layer of EPDM. Then the inner diameter of the hose. The PVA leyers are for structural integrity, to stop the hose from expanding under pressure. We don't have low pressure hoses on this car though, so I can't prove the comparison to the low pressure side.

If EPDM isn't compatible with brake fluid, a lot of people are going to die pretty soon...

(I'm using EPDM re-inforced hose myself, perfectly fine)

Johnny said:
"Buy the Best, Cry Once" ~Gene Berg ;)

how much would a brake fluid leak down the bulk head and under your seat cost to put right?

This is quite true I think.

I have seen quite a few pictures of corrosion from spilt brake fluid as they have been topping up the remote reservoir < (I hate spelling that word, always get it wrong :roll: ). So, I can imagine how bad it would be if the pipe was leaking. :shock:

georgeyv said:
I've got a spare metre of the EPDM stuff from hoseworld, it was reccomended to me and has been in situ for 18 months so far with no problems. If you want it feel free to come get it from Leeds or just pay postage!

That's kind of you, thanks buddy :D

I think I will just pay £20 and get the 'official' one though.

Happystamps said:
It doesn't mention brake fluid on the Wikipedia entry?

Exactly, because it was not mentioned, I assumed it was not suitable. I would expect the article to specifically state it, but it does not. Although, I know not everything on Wikipedia is correct, but logically I would have expected it to be noted as a 'wide application' of the product.

Happystamps said:
Anyway, I just looked up the drawings for the brake hoses on the car I'm working on designing ATM :)

"EPDM-PVA-PVA-EPDM" Meaning from the outside of the hose- layer of EPDM, then 2 x layers of PVA, then another layer of EPDM. Then the inner diameter of the hose. The PVA leyers are for structural integrity, to stop the hose from expanding under pressure. We don't have low pressure hoses on this car though, so I can't prove the comparison to the low pressure side.

If EPDM isn't compatible with brake fluid, a lot of people are going to die pretty soon...

(I'm using EPDM re-inforced hose myself, perfectly fine)

I wonder if the composite of PVA and EPDM is what creates the resistance to brake fluid? The hoses I have been looking at are just EPDM, no PVA inner. :popcorn:

Epdm is the standard rubber used for all coolant / air / low pressure brake fluid applications. The reason why it isn't overly documented in low pressure brake fluid use is probably because not many vehicles utilise a remote reservoir and therefore have no need for it. Epdm is incompatible with fuel and oil as far as I'm aware, so it is important as to where any hose off cuts are used!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
Epdm is the standard rubber used for all coolant / air / low pressure brake fluid applications. The reason why it isn't overly documented in low pressure brake fluid use is probably because not many vehicles utilise a remote reservoir and therefore have no need for it. Epdm is incompatible with fuel and oil as far as I'm aware, so it is important as to where any hose off cuts are used!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noted, thanks :)

Freezzr said:
Kieft & Klok sells it, I installed the hose yesterday and it fits easy and OK!

Thanks, I just had a look, but I can only find a '73-'79 version on there:
http://www.kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/homepage/t2-1968-1979/remmerij2013-11-06-11-11-00/overig/pipe-between-brake-fluid-reservoirs-8-73-7-79-detail

If you have found an early one, please could you post a link? :sign0009:

Latest posts