• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bought! Can delete post. Thanks. early westfalia not tin top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie28

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller šŸ˜€

Been looking for an early westy for our friend Laura

Ideally but not compulsory, it needs to sleep 4, have working heating, original fittings if possible, Right hand drive would be nice but not a deal breaker at all

A little more essential, it would need to Drive in a straight line and select all gears comfortably., preference of 1700 or upwards, unless the 1600 can get about ok up hill.
Not be absolutely rotten and falling apart, full of filler.

Welding repairs wouldnā€™t be an issue as long as it wasnā€™t dangerous chassis, steering area sort of stuff. Needs to be useable with an mot.

Top end budget is 15 which Iā€™ve seen is doable, we just missed the nice early on here thatā€™s just sold, that would have been great.

Located in Manchester, well prepared to travel for the right bus.

Iā€™m asking on the forum as I believe weā€™ll get sensible replies.

Any viewings will be done with a near on expert so please with all respect for all involved, donā€™t show us anything dodgy or falling apart..... it will be found out.

Hope the request doesnā€™t sound harsh and I welcome any advice.

Pretty much seen everything thatā€™s about on forums and eBay, hoping maybe someone is waiting for a wanted ad to show up?

Thanks for reading

Regards

Howard

You must have seen mine but just in case http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74673

Cheers Simo, I had seen it, not sure if Iā€™ve passed it on. I will today.

Hi mine's still available if interested
1972 westy on the for sale page...

Hello
Iā€™ve been offered a totally original 1968 tin top westy bus in white
Really solid
Stock interior
Will need work on engine and brakes to get on the road
Bus is located in Los Angeles
Please send me a email address for photos
I can ship too
Waiting on price
Many thanks

No tin tops thanks for thinking of me though.

Just whilst Iā€™m here.... viewed a lot of dreadful buses already.
Even having spoken to owners before travelling for two hours or four hours, they still lie!
Is it full,of filler? No..... two hours later.... dangerous piece of crap full of bog and sealant instead of welding (Viking on eBay re listed about 3 times now).
Yesterday four hour journey, ā€œoverall immaculate conditionā€ it was a bag of rubbish.
I have photos!

Another two hour journey for olive green westy on eBay. Said it needed a 50 p size hole welding on the back, didnā€™t mention the big hole on the side of the battery tray or the front roof rotting at the top. Was going to let the auction run but was then pulled so we didnā€™t have a chance regardless.

So many people say, they all rot in the battery area and they are expected to be rotten.
Our last three werenā€™t!

I guess I should post this as a thread so please feel free to delete it or move it (Iā€™m just annoyed at the travel time and cost to see the total crap,people are trying to sell, disguised or described as good!)

If anyone is doing any viewings or interested in anything, drop me a message, I might have seen it or know something about it.

So, still looking, still prepared to travel. No rubbish, I will see it.

Thanks forum folk ā™„ļø

Mate..i feel for you.
Did 420 miles in 1 day looking at 2 buses..both had rust busting through the filler & both owners assured me that there was no rust despite me asking that exact question.
Really gets my goat as its a waste of my time, their time, petrol, wear & tear on my car.
Do owners think that if we travel to view we'll just buy the bus no matter what.
One owner told me 'oohh..i didn't know there was any rust' despite owning the bus for years?? This was rust coming through the sills high up & completely visible..not talking underneath!
Very frustrating.

Alright bud.

A member of our club has just post his westy up for sale, based just outside Newcastle.

It's on a number of FB forums but I'm not sure how to post a link. Here's a screen grab and there's more photos in the comments too ...

Hey, thanks for that. Iā€™m not on Facebook but Iā€™ll pass the message on.
Cheers

Bobster said:
Alright bud.

A member of our club has just post his westy up for sale, based just outside Newcastle.

It's on a number of FB forums but I'm not sure how to post a link. Here's a screen grab and there's more photos in the comments too ...

I was about to post the same one. Looks a decent one at a very good price as well.

Thanks for all the help.
We have now found the perfect bus.
Since January we have been all over the country looking at buses.
People have happily let us travel for hours on end to find terrible, dangerous and utterly rotten buses.
A lot are still out there for sale. Message me I may have viewed one!
Before you bid or view Iā€™ve found it very useful to get the registration and run it through total car check app. Itā€™s free and you can see all the old MOT results and see when they have failed on scarily dangerous points.

Descriptions of near immaculate in Portsmouth, rusting out on gutters and around windows, dreadful overpriced rubbish.

The good news for us is we have bought two this year now. One for us and one for our friend.
We picked up a 1972 lhd crossover westy. Texas import, bone dry and super solid original as possible. Interior is like brand new.
Came with original,westy awning, 1950ā€™s 7up cool box, complete history all sorts of original camping gear and it was 14k

Now a 1972 Right hand drive crossover dormobile low mileage , solid true original,uk survivor at 15k
Both gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts