best body colour underside protection?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hart5lizard

Reaction score
Hi all
I am shot blasting my van this weekend and was wondering what coating to apply to the underneath?

I need to know

what to put straight on the bare metal? etch primer?

then is it seam sealer, then stone chip, then paint?

many thanks

I am doing this my self soon and hopefully today arrives
prod_56.html
I ended up buying two kits to do the running gear and beam etc. Really nice helpful people and forum sponsors (I forgot to ask about an EB discount though :roll: ).

It's basically a cleaner, then a rust killer and primer then a top coat. I do plan to seam seal over the primer prior to top coat.

Not sure if it is actually out of stock though, I only ordered on Wednesday afternoon.

just done mine ,check my resto thread ,but my order was

clean underside first, trat and repair any rust, etch prime, then a coat of standard primer ,seam sealer,two cood coats of gravitex all over, and will soon have a coat of elm green over it all to match the rest of the bus. only reason i went with gravitex is thatyo can paint over it.
hope this helps :D

Hi,

You might want to have a look at my thread, about half way down,

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11057&start=220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used various treatments, followed by cavity wax. I'll be then using a truck bed type liner, colour matched like the tintable U POL stuff, you can get it on Ebay, I'm on a work PC, so cant fish out the link at the moment.

Cheers,

Alistair

You could top it with Rustoleum Combicolor which comes in all RAL colours. It is brush/roller/spray application and does a great job.

Some companies such as Avenue coatings in Slough will also colour match Rustoleum from a sample....

Latest posts