Air Shock Length

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG

Reaction score
Hi all

Dont post here much i have a latebay and haunt the other site usually. But when it comes to being cool, you get all the advice over here.

So i have read a few bits on here regarding air shocks and i am leaning toward that option now. I did consider hydraulics, but for the price, i just cant justify it today.

I think i get the setup idea, probably going to go 4way with digital management from ridetech.

I dont know all the technical terms so bear with me.

1. I am working out how to measure shock length. I havent got an interior installed at present, and so if i am measureing shocke now, do i need to account for this later? Or because i have adjustable spring plates, will this not matter?

2. Also, if ride height is quote low, how much PSI should i be running on for the shock to actually have some function?

3. And finally if the shocks fail for any reason, i can still drive on them, they arent going to bottom out are they?

imo its definitely worth waiting/saving for hydros, thats what i'm doing as its a much better system and better suited to a bus imo.

anyway ima help you anyway. to measure shock length, drop it down as low as you want it to possibly go when parked/at a show. measure the distance between the top and bottom shock bolts, and that is the closed length you want (get slightly shorter rather than slightly longer so you can get max lowness) then the open length will be what ever those ones open to when full of air. simples :)

hope this helps

sam

samgopsill said:
imo its definitely worth waiting/saving for hydros, thats what i'm doing as its a much better system and better suited to a bus imo.

anyway ima help you anyway. to measure shock length, drop it down as low as you want it to possibly go when parked/at a show. measure the distance between the top and bottom shock bolts, and that is the closed length you want (get slightly shorter rather than slightly longer so you can get max lowness) then the open length will be what ever those ones open to when full of air. simples :)

hope this helps

sam
thanks sam

so i need to adjust the rear to the height i want it, and then measure without shock on, thats straight forward.

do you have air on yours at the mo?

Does anyone (other than Demon motorsports) make a hydraulic system?

BTW, I bought Gabriels (the wrong size) for mine, but if I recall correctly the spec sheet said a minimum running 60psi.

Dogo said:
BTW, I bought Gabriels (the wrong size) for mine, but if I recall correctly the spec sheet said a minimum running 60psi.

yeah i heard gabriels were a good option. those and monroes.

rayvern hydraulics. ray is a top bloke, done all the suspension work on the split panel van "foxon park" as an insight into how good his work/systems are

sam

Latest posts