Adjustable Spring Plates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Aware I need to swap my horsehoes for adjustable spring plates. Only really looked at Cool Air and T2D.
Cool Air offer standard, 1" drop and 2" drop. Was chatting with their online help today and he explained that buying standard means turning splines to get the drop. Prefabricated with 2" drop will give a way better ride.
He also confirmed with the 2" drop you can still get the wheel off without have to remove bottom shock mount or anything.
Wanted to get the thoughts on here as to options and recommended suppliers.
Thanks

Hi Nugsy, when I got my bus it had, maybe 3", drops out back and I had to deflate the tyre to get the wheel off. Was a bit of a pain TBH and they were low profile tyres on 15". I wanted to put original C14 van tyres on steels so got some Transporterhaus adjustable spring plates, really good quality and look the same lowerness (new word!) But I can now get the wheels off no problems.

Thanks Fallingofalot, good to hear it will solve that problem. Did you but the direct replacement and turn the splines or the ones that already come with a 1" or 2" drop.
Direct replacement are straight but the drop ones have a little swerve in them

Hi all, Aware I need to swap my horsehoes for adjustable spring plates. Only really looked at Cool Air and T2D.
Cool Air offer standard, 1" drop and 2" drop. Was chatting with their online help today and he explained that buying standard means turning splines to get the drop. Prefabricated with 2" drop will give a way better ride.
He also confirmed with the 2" drop you can still get the wheel off without have to remove bottom shock mount or anything.
Wanted to get the thoughts on here as to options and recommended suppliers.
Thanks
All really depends on how low you are running or want to go, we usually fit the one inch drop ones and turn a single spline and adjust from there, a 2" drop on the back end is not very much at all, I'm very dubious about claims of being able to get the rear wheel off without removing the bottom damper bolt, the adjustable part cannot swing down to give you clearance unless the bottom damper bolt is removed.
I'm happy to be corrected but we have ALWAYS had to remove the bottom damper bolt on any bus we have lowered in the workshop, the problem is (and I don't know who you spoke to) but half the time you are talking to 'box shifters' not people that have actually fitted the parts!!

Thanks Graham and Sparky. It's my thoughts you'd still have ro remove it too.
I'm on horseshoes which iirc gave a 3 " drop, so would still have to turn a spline or two with the 2" ones.
Looking to run 7" teledials or Cookies, whichever works better as like both.

I've no experience of cookie cutters, but if you're running teledials you'll need spacers depending on offset, and shorter late bay axles so you can fit centre caps.
You can fit an 8" rear if you use 53.3 offset wheels.

Thanks Graham and Sparky. It's my thoughts you'd still have ro remove it too.
I'm on horseshoes which iirc gave a 3 " drop, so would still have to turn a spline or two with the 2" ones.
Looking to run 7" teledials or Cookies, whichever works better as like both.
As Sparky has mentioned 7's can cause an issue on the rear especially as they can foul the adjuster block on the spring plate, the hightop runs 6's on the rear with an ET47 and I had to run spacers to get them to clear the adjuster, I think I'm on 15mm spacers from memory

Latest posts