A bit drippy. Brake light switch.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sannabay

Reaction score
I've replaced a brake light switch but there is a tiny bit of weapage now. the bently book mentions a washer/seal but nothing came out with the old one and I don't remember fitting any when I replaced the master cylinder a couple of years ago. At the moment I've put an O ring between the shoulders of the cylinder and the switch but it's not stopped the drip entirely. I haven't checked the torque but its quite tight and I'm worried I might strip the thread.

Should there be a seal in the hole? rubber, copper, or fibre? or try ptfe tape?

Cheers

I don't ever remember there being a washer on the switch (may be wrong ) it may not be in perfectly square ? You could always try buying some fibre gasket card and cutting one to fit . Or I bought a bag of mixed sized plastic washers off evil bay that I use on loads of various things like light screws , interior screws ect worth a try for what they cost. As for tightness I i usually just do them up as far as I can by hand then a little nip up with the spanner .
It may be leaking from the spade terminals where they go into the switch and not the thread ? Maybe worth getting a new switch as there only a few quid [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

The brake light switches are a tapered thread so do need to be nipped up reasonably tight if they are leaking (assuming there is no damage to either thread). Personally, I’d wrap a bit of PTFE tape around it as it’ll help to seal any imperfections if you’re still struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have added - putting a seal in will make no difference due to it being tapered rather than parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts