'71 Deluxe - Now with Super Secret Subaru Swap!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadWagens

Reaction score
So I dragged this home a week ago:

669353.jpg

669364.jpg

669363.jpg

It needs a motor and a good cleaning but there's very little rust. It's complete minus a middle seat and some door handles and things like that. I plan on building a 1641cc for it and finding both a middle seat and a westy interior so we can swap it out at will. I also want to drop it and see if that light blue paint will buff out- otherwise I might try to rub it down to the OG red paint underneath.

Anyone have suggestions on the easiest way to get down to the OG paint? Just wet sand it? Or use a heavy cut buffing compound?

Hi Leep, nice looking bus 8)
Welcome to EB.

I gather that oven cleaner & fine wire wool can be good to get the paint off, personally I used paint stripper then 1500 wet & dry - not quite finished yet but its getting closer. A lot will depend on whether they keyed the surface prior to repainting or just painted over whatever was there.
Make sure you test it on a small bit first ;)

Thanks!

I'm going to try some buffing compound on the blue to see how it looks before digging for OG paint. I'm not sure if the "keyed" (sanded, right?) before the respray. Thanks for the tip.

One thing I love about this forum is the different terminology you guys use across the pond. I've been learning a lot of new terms, like "keyed" "looks ace" "looks the dog's danglers" "looks hard" and "that's low as fook". LOL

LEEP said:
Thanks!
I'm not sure if the "keyed" (sanded, right?) before the respray. Thanks for the tip.

Thats the puppy ;)

I am in daily contact with your fellow Americans through work and its always interesting to hear how we use different phrases and terminology and of course how you spell things incorrectly like dropping "u"s, swapping s for z, re-arranging re to er. :lol: ;)

Yeah I guess we had to differentiate our language from yours after the Revolutionary War. But word spelling is the least of the shit we do that's different. For instance- driving on the other side of the road, healthcare, I could go on and on... haha

Soooooo... yesterday was productive- I took my wife and my five month old son to his very first VW show- Kelley Park in San Jose. This year the turn out was awesome since they decided to allow late models into the show, and it was a gorgeous day. I scored a 2/3 middle seat for $150 and I also picked an OG interior door handle for the slider for $4. I also picked up a Peter Aschwanden shirt and a couple of vw shirts/onesies for my son.

Check out the haul:

IMGP0499.jpg

I have a ton of pictures from the show- should I post them up in another forum? Here's a little taste of the Early Bay action from the show:

IMGP0437.jpg

all bargains, i love the keep your bus alive illustrations, they make the book.

post your pics up in here. 8)

I'll resize the pics as soon as I can and post them up, you guys are going to love some of the stuff from the show. It was the best one in YEARS.

The latest development on my project is that my lowball offer on a '71 Westy Weekender with no paperwork has been accepted. I'm going to drag it home and keep it for the interior and see if I can get the engine running to put into my Deluxe.

Is it really practical to have both a passenger interior and a westy interior at the ready to swap out? Does anyone on here do that? I want my cake and I want to eat it too. And there is apparently a lot of cheap cake out there.

I'm hungry...

froggy said:
LEEP said:
I want my cake and I want to eat it too. And there is apparently a lot of cheap cake out there.

I'm hungry...
Maybe on your side of the pond but not over here :lol:

I thought that remark might make you guys a little jealous...

Alright fine, here's some pics from the show:

Starting with the super tasty EB with all of the accessories:
Not a fan of the early front Logo on a bay, the proportions are wrong.
IMGP0435.jpg

IMGP0438.jpg

IMGP0436.jpg

IMGP0439.jpg

Me and my son Caswell, stone cold chillin'.
IMGP0441.jpg

Clean shop bus, dumped by removing torsion bars:
IMGP0445.jpg

IMGP0446.jpg

Very detailed mural, nice to look at, probably not too nice to be seen driving in:
IMGP0433.jpg

IMGP0434.jpg

Do you like splits?
IMGP0432.jpg

Green one is bagged, not sure what the sealing wax red one has for a suspension setup:
IMGP0431.jpg

IMGP0429.jpg

IMGP0430.jpg

Early submarine hatch camper and crewcab:
IMGP0428.jpg

How about a 21 window Deluxe that someone shot to shit. No need for safari windows for airflow though:
IMGP0424.jpg

IMGP0423.jpg

IMGP0425.jpg

Sick clear over patina Kombi:
IMGP0426.jpg

IMGP0427.jpg

Random Chevy Impala Custom:
IMGP0419.jpg

IMGP0420.jpg

IMGP0421.jpg

IMGP0422.jpg

Verts:
IMGP0495.jpg

IMGP0417.jpg

More type 1 and type 3 action to come, stay tuned...

is that the 'Bullet Bus'? i think it belongs to Britt (AKA Roadcow) if it is? they did the shasta mountain run in it and nearly came to an end down a 30 foot drop into a rivene, saved only by a few saplings.

Johnny said:
is that the 'Bullet Bus'? i think it belongs to Britt (AKA Roadcow) if it is? they did the shasta mountain run in it and nearly came to an end down a 30 foot drop into a rivene, saved only by a few saplings.

I overheard someone talking about a the "Bullet Bus" so I think you are correct, sir! This thing kicked ass. I'm glad it's still rollin' even though it took some hits...

Here's another dose for ya...

Twenty threeeeeeeeee:

IMGP0493.jpg

IMGP0494.jpg

More clearcoat over patina:

IMGP0492.jpg

Impala.

IMGP0498.jpg

Slammed Frid with trailer. That's my wife goofing around for the camera.

IMGP0484.jpg

IMGP0483.jpg

IMGP0482.jpg

IMGP0485.jpg

Pair o' squares:

IMGP0480.jpg

This one had some cool pinstripes:

IMGP0479.jpg

My friend Aaron's ride:

IMGP0475.jpg

IMGP0474.jpg

Satin metallic:

IMGP0472.jpg

IMGP0473.jpg

Lots of rad shit on the rack:

IMGP0470.jpg

IMGP0471.jpg

Nice patina and pinstriping. You can always tell if the owner really surfs or not by the direction the surfboard is oriented on the rack. This person is not a surfer. Still looks cool though.

IMGP0464.jpg

IMGP0467.jpg

Moon discs, yeaayerrrs!
IMGP0469.jpg

Awesome awesome RHD rag on earlies:

IMGP0461.jpg

IMGP0462.jpg

IMGP0463.jpg

IMGP0460.jpg

This bug is hella funny:

IMGP0459.jpg

Gorgeous paint.

IMGP0453.jpg

Earlies:

IMGP0418.jpg

I really liked this car; sprintstars are dope!

IMGP0452.jpg

What color is this? Garnet red?

IMGP0456.jpg

Hotness.

IMGP0466.jpg

IMGP0465.jpg

Splits in a row.

IMGP0487.jpg

This 356 racer was impressive- it had an intercooled turbo motor.

IMGP0490.jpg

IMGP0491.jpg

I hope that'll tide you over 'till your next vw show...

Barkafer said:
Wow, Cool as! That show looks the mutts nuts with some stunning rides there! I love your bus too dude and noticed a nice original looking side step there.

Thanks dude, I have some more pics I just got tired of copying and pasting the links. I'll add some more a little later. There's another show this Sunday in Madera that I'm planning on attending so I'll have some more pics to share next week.

Yes my bus came with an OG side step, which was just icing on the cake. The previous owner said some guy kept coming by and wanted to buy the step off of him but didn't want to buy the whole bus. I don't think the price of the bus was as low at that point as it was when I bought it.

I'm picking up that Westy tonight so my driveway is going to be a lot more crowded- I'll post pics when I get it home.

Latest posts