68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZedBed said:
gvee said:
Looking good Zed! The bus and interior are looking so good outside of your workshop and in that sunshine 8)

Glad that you're finally getting to use it
Me too - seems like I hardly use it but just had MOT today and I've covered 3000 miles in the last year somehow or other. :lol:

Did it pass?

After fixing the handbrake lever, yes it did. The plastic bit it slides through was worn away allowing the sprung latch to flip over and work in reverse. Years of wear and abuse had also cut notches in the smooth bit of the shaft so if you pulled it on really hard it jammed on. I found out on a steep hill in Yorkshire last week - stuck and embaressed I had to dismantle the handbrake at some temp roadworks lights in the middle of nowhere.

In the end I got a right hand drive one (they're mirror image) and welded it up to make it LHD. Sorted. :)
Also a fuse had gone for the sidelights and front brakes imbalanced. I winged it through the mot (bad boy but I needed to get home again!) by swapping one shoe from each side and getting there quick, but it needs new cylinders on one side and new shoes all round or I'll be swerving about again in no time - on order now.

Brakes now stop and they work as well as they ever will without a servo.

so... :) Ebay punt...
servo.jpg

Comes with M/C actuating rod and one way valve so I just need some pipe and a servo bracket. :)

If it works... :?

And I'm sorry I bid against you...

Not! ;)

Servo arrived promptly so I cleaned it up and tested it (by sucking on the pipe - highly technical). The diaphram's not split so it must be worth installing for a try. Dubdubz is chopping a mount from an old beam for me when he gets a chance. Sorted. 8)

dubdubz said:
I am - been busy at work - aiming for Friday night and if possible in the post same night if not first thing on Sat....
:lol: I wasn't hussling! No rush, I doubt I'll do it until week after next at the earliest TBH. I'm going camping and I don't want to be buggering about with the brakes just before I go. :)

In the meantime I've had a few teething problems with the engine. From the word go it's been spraying oil around the engine bay. I tried everything as it wasn't clear where it was coming from, then finally homed in on the serpentine pulley oil slinger.
I took it off and found this which further confirmed my suspicions - pics a bit fuzzy.
DSCF4861.jpg

The slinger part's been rubbing on the case. Both are made of ali so the case is bound to have some wear as well. To be sure this was the cause of the leak I fitted a standard pulley, alt pulley and belt, had a mop up around some parts of the engine bay and sure enough no more oil leak. Whether it's the fault of the pulley or the engine/fitting remains to be seen, but the supplier is kindly exchanging the pulley at their cost so I can find out.

And the timing - SVDA with pertronix. It moves. It moves about 4 degs. Initially it retarded from our setting by 4 degs so I corrected it. Shortly after I retimed and it had advanced 4 degs so I put it back. Now I knew what what was going on I left it at the max so it can only retard which isn't so bad for the engine. The magnetic collar is a little loose and I think this is the fault. I've got a spare somewhere but I can't find it so I've fitted points.

The engine's getting proper retro with the standard belt and points. I'll get that single carb back on one day. ;)

I don't know why people lower buses. Must be mad.

Before...
DSCF3810.jpg

After from yesterday...
DSCF4862.jpg

I set the springplate angle with a digital inclinometer zeroed on the sliding door opening to 20 degs as per the book.
But I think it looked a bit too down at the back so today I raised it 35mm. It's still slightly front high but not levels out now when I get in.
DSCF4863.jpg

DSCF4864.jpg

A bit. :oops:

And speed bumps and potholes and fen roads and arthritis in my neck and the oil cooler underneath and hitting the beam and hitting the engine bar and hitting my head repeatedly on the roof.

But mainly to get off the beaten track for some free camping. :mrgreen:

Looks well cool now doesn't it? 8)

I like it! I honestly do, get some nice chunky tyres on it and bobs ya do dah.. 8)

ZedBed said:
And speed bumps and potholes and fen roads and arthritis in my neck and the oil cooler underneath and hitting the beam and hitting the engine bar and hitting my head repeatedly on the roof.

But mainly to get off the beaten track for some free camping. :mrgreen:

Looks well cool now doesn't it? 8)

I know what you mean :lol:

I keep thinking of going higher again but then I love driving low as well, ideally I would have two buses, one slammed and one stock with big tyres.

Your bus is cool Zed! I enjoy reading your thread.

Thanks Mister and MerlyDog. :)

When I let the jack down the bus stayed where it was - thought I must have left an axle stand underneath. :lol:

I had a cursory glance underneath today with a view on the servo fitting. It doesn't look as straightforward as I hoped. Easy on a late. Might be easy/might be an arse.

Has anyone done this?

Latest posts