• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1973 VW T2 Bay Window Camper van (Tax Exempt)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappers181

Reaction score
Here we have for sale my much loved 1973 vw panel van.
I have owned this van for the last 17 years and know just about every inch of it.
In the first 3 years of owning her i stripped the bottom 3/4 of all the usual rust and replaced each panel with quality replacements from Just Kampers.
The panels that were replaced are; The front Panel, both front arches, sliding door sill, both front doors (with brand new versions), sliding door (Californian import), both rear arches, both rear corners and tailgate. This was all done professionally and because of the quality of work is all still in great condition.
The Exterior has been painted in Vw Sundown orange which is a colour that is used on the modern beetle. Its a really happy colour in the sun which is the way any vw camper should look.
The underside has been wax oiled and is in good solid condition.
In addition to the necessary work listed above i customised the van to make it look like the older pre 1972 vans. This was done by welding the earlier style wraparound bumpers to the body work and smoothing it in for a seamless look.
The front indicators were blanked over along with the front grill. The indicators were relocated to the front bumper in the form of Golf mk4 clear lenses.
The Front headlights were upgraded to the Machine 7 crystal clear versions with Halogen H4 bulbs (which really help with night time driving).
The front dashboard has been modified with a Vw caddy tailgate so that it now has a "Volkswagon" script across it. Its spelt with an "o" so that it could house the speedo in the lettering. The speedo is a Smiths version that has all the warning lights, odometer, speedometer and fuel gauge. The horn is a Klaxon horn.
The doors have been fitted with electric windows from Machine 7 which are of the highest quality with strong motors to lift the glass comfortably. The doors are de-locked so there are no external handles. The doors are opened using solenoids also from Machine 7. These are operated by the K9 alarm that is fitted to the van or via the hidden (lockable) switches which wont be revealed for obvious reasons. A window closure module is also available with the van but i have never got round to fitting it.
The roof of the van has a 6ft rag top sunroof which is great fun in the summer for taking people on tours of the cornish coast or for camping under the stars.
Continuing with the pre 72 theme the rear air scoops for the engine have been replaced with the earlier (and much prettier) half moon scoops. The roof gutter has also been removed to add to the de-seamed custom look but its amazing how many people don't spot this at first.
The rear valance has been adapted so that it is removable. It takes the form of the rear pre 1972 curved bumper that has also been welded to the bodywork. The mid section is removed by 4 bolts to access the engine which makes it very easy to service the original engine or for adapting to retro fit a modern engine such as the Golf mk3 tdi or Subaru engine. The latter was my intention but too many projects have led me to writing this advert.
The interior up front has the dash that has already been mentioned. Stock steering wheel and 2 very comfortable Peugeot 205 half leather bucket seats. I have taken this van to southern france without an inckling of that uncomfortable feeling you get with other seats. They really are that comfortable!
In the rear is an L-shape seat format with plenty of storage underneath. The section of seat that faces forward is a rock n roll bed which folds out to make a good sized double bed. Above this seat is another cupboard for storage for camping.
The van is rolling on Porsche Fuchs replicas that have been powder coated satin black.
The van has a stock 1600cc twin-port engine that runs on unleaded. It has a twin exit kadron exhaust which helps it breath and gives it a good tone.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

As you can probably imagine from reading this i have done a lot to this van and so there are probably many more details that i have forgotten to mention. It will be very sad to see her go but i can't bare to see her sitting in the garage going to waste when she really should be enjoyed out on the open road.
Its for this reason that i ask only for honest interested parties to contact me, she holds a massive amount of sentimental value so wheel kickers and time wasters really wont be tolerated.

8k ovno

Latest posts