• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 bay with 1776 and LOTS of extras

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baxtermt

Reaction score
Sold
Sold
Sold

OK My pride and joy is up for sale, she has been named Phoebe by my wife (that shows how special she is to us) and here is a little description for her.

Firstly the van
She is a 1970 so tax exempt Volkswagen Bay window type 2 van, She is a Californian import so she is left hand drive. She was re-sprayed just over 2 and a half years ago however we lived up in the western islands of Scotland for the majority of that, but more on that later. The engine has been changed to a 1776 with twin carbs, as when we lived in the outer Isles we did a lot of travelling and I got fed up of needing a gear in-between 2nd and 3rd, (if you’ve had a van before you’ll know what I mean) so after a great deal of searching and research we decided to get it from Laurie Pettitt (type his name into Google and have a look, the first site is him the second Volks Zone about him, He is a top bloke and great engine builder!). Anyway the engine, it is a 1776 twin port with twin carbs and external oil cooling and goes like a dream, It did cost me around two thousand pounds so I would like to get back and some for the van, I have then put a sports exhaust on it with some exhaust wrap on it, (more on that later) so she sounds good as well now. Inside the van, she has a pop top, removable cupboard, rock and roll bed, and an mp3 player with 12 disc changer, amp, sub and remote (so it can be controlled from the back), and she is also carpeted so she is soft underfoot and the back has been reupholstered.

More about the bodywork, as I said she was re-sprayed about two and a half years ago and she is really solid, however as I said I lived in the outer Isles of Scotland and as a result she has not faired too well and there is rust showing in a few places already, which is breaking my heart, but she will be good for a few more seasons before she needs any major work. There is also a scratch, done about 2 years ago, down the front where the van actually got blown into a garage (that is how strong the wind can be in the Hebrides, but there is no rust on this scratch) and also there are some marks on the sides as I didn’t want the roof to be blown off I strapped it down, and the straps have marked her. I don’t think there is any need what so ever to strap the roof down in England, it was just the wind in the Outer Isles, as I said the wind blew the van into a garage.
The exhaust wrap has only been put onto the 4 into 1 and one of the heat exchangers as I ran out of it before I did the other heat exchanger and I needed to get the engine back into her as I needed to use her.

Extras that we have got for her, is just about everything that you could want, I have got a tow bar, bike rack, roof rack, van cover, an interior table, cooker, some camping equipment, spare window glass which are different to the windows currently in and the old engine which has been dismantled however it is a complete engine.

She is a very good van with lots of extras and I think it needs to be seen to be appreciated.

if you would like any more information please get in touch. my email is [email protected]

PS I live near leistershire and am looking at about 5K for it however this is very negotiable

Sold Sold
Sold Sold

Hi Baxter, you need to post some pics to get the interest.

as the saying goes its worth a thousand words

here are a few pics that I have if there are any questions please feel free, as I said the price is very negotiable, (I can go down but I cant go up)
and the window will be covered in film shortly, or it can all be removed.

rearostopup.jpg

nstopup.jpg

just a couple of pics so far

Matt

OK as there has been little interest in her and after careful consideration we have decided to drop the price to ......

£4250

dont forget that it is still negotiable.

Any offers, or viewing welcome.

Still for sale and please trust me it is a good price

We took her to Absolute VW as I was begining to think I was asking too much
but he confirmed that I was about right

Any Questions please dont hesitate
And please come and see her if your in the rutland area.

Matt

Hmm

Can I be blunt ?

* The colour is not helping - original colours work best.

* Photos are also needed of the problems bodywork areas plus known general Bay issues (arches, sills/chassis/outriggers lower front panel inner/outer, setbelt plates, gutters, battery trays etc..)

* Sell the extras separately they do not really make the bus worth more.
whatever you make for them subtract this from your asking price.

Good luck

James

have you got interior pictures, sills, underneath, cab floor etc?? Cheers

Dan

I am sorry I have decided that I will try to sell it all togeter first.

Whoever if I dont get what I want for the van then I will sell them extra and I'll put them back on here.

Thanks
Matt

still for sale

just tring to repair a floor panel that I found to be rotten the other week and I'll get some more pics on here

Latest posts