• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1968 RHD Mostly (80%) Original Paint Neptune Blue Tintop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwgillybilly

Reaction score
Well... After a good long hard think I'm going to put my bay up for sale... Reasons? Marriage next year & anticipated lack of use... I know I won't get another like it but times & needs change.

I have documented the restoration in the gallery section but here's an overview...

It's a genuine RHD UK bus with 3 owners on the logbook & a believed genuine 28k on the clock, though everything is new apart from the steering box & gearbox so that's irrelevant I suppose? Steers amazingly well, much better than my old Split with a rack & pinion conversion.

All welding done with a mixture of genuine cuts & good quality Schofield's panels. While I was at it I cleaned & painted the underneath body colour then gave it the standard issue dose of Waxoil & Dinitrol! Repairs were sympathetically blended with cellulose Neptune Blau.

15 inch Crows Foot split wheels painted in Cloud White with Grey hub caps. New Bridgestone Potenza Slam Tyres on the front & new Firestones on the rear. There is a Beetle smoothie spare with 15" slam tyre fitted.

Late fully overhauled split king & link pin beam on the front with my own dropped spindles & Creative Engineering adjusters - 3" narrowed as spindles lose 1/2 inch per side & a stock split beam is 2" narrower than a bay beam.

New adjustable trackrods with new trackrod ends both sides - steers perfectly straight with no tyre wear! Overhauled steering idler pin.

New Creative Engineering adjustable springplates on the rear.

Almost NOS 1500sp engine, sweet as a nut! It came from a low hour waterpump - all original VW ancillaries. THE BEST VW aircooled engine I've owned. Finished off with a Bluebird Customs stanless steel stock - style exhaust pipe. All new fuel hoses & filter.

New starter, bush, clutch, flywheel seal etc.

All new Copper brake lines.

New master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, wheel bearings & seals.

Goodridge Braided Hoses - forget CSP disks, these make drum brakes stop & feel loads better!

New clutch, handbrake & throttle cables.

Bumpers refurbished & painted in the correct Cloud White - the rear isn't perfect but looks very presentable.

Genuine all-red SWF US spec rear lenses - uncracked, will also include Euro spec lenses as the Euro spec housings are still fitted.

Genuine Hella Italian spec clear front indicator lenses - will also include originals.

ALL genuine door cards, genuine cab floor mat, genuine walkthru mat, genuine factory fitted unripped headliner (MINT), genuine rear seats unripped.

Rear seat converts to a bed with Z hinges with a memory foam mattress over the engine compartment - needs trimming but I will get this done for the right price.

Roller blinds which screw into existing coat hook holes.

Original 68 only rear view mirror - mint!

Everything works - all electrics tested & work fine. The only thing slightly out is the fuel gauge which reads 3/4 with a full tank. Obviously this is better than the other way around - never bothered me on the 2,500 mile maiden voyage around Europe this summer.

One of Aspro's lovely rev counters!

New Bosch S4 battery.

Detailed engine bay.

Spare rear valence.

One key fits all with spare - VW keys.

Fully overhauled shift mechanism with new linkage - the gearchange is amazing!

Niggles...

Needs 2 quarter lights to be right - they open & close securely but the splindles on the bottoms are snapped.

The original front seats were missing so ideally the current ones (which are ripped) need trimming to suit.

5p sized hole at the bottom of the driver's side windscreen - easy fix.

All in all a beautiful example of a RHD UK early bay that has been fully gone through with the right mods done. I love Cali imports but don't be fooled into thinking they don't need work... Check the gallery on this forum, then you're sat on the wrong side! I never realised how much better RHD buses are to drive until I put this on the road!

The bus is located in Chesterfield, Derbyshire & I am asking for £10,500 as it is... Which is a fair price given the year / spec / modifications etc. I don't need the money so I won't move much but please try me. I know it's not the best time of year to be selling but I won't let that worry me either... If it fails to selll I'll sort the seats & quarter lights & re advertise in the Spring.

The bus has 11 months T&T & is ready to drive away. I think the first to see will buy.

Please note I'll include the NOS Hella Foglight but will be keeping the SWF country sign on the rear.

Build thread here - hiding nothing!!!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll post more pics up in time but if any specific pics are required let me know.

Thanks.

Gill 07773010061

:shock: That was quick. Well done Gill. What's next? Another split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts