Smoke in the cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad

Reaction score
Everything is fine with the heater levers set to cold.
If I move them to hot smoke virtually instantly comes out of the dash, from the air vents I guess. After a bit of experimenting it doesn't seem to happen when it's just idling on the drive. On reflection I should have seen if it was just one lever causing it but I backed it into a wall when I was trying to see what was happening so my brain went to mush.

I've had a peek under the engine but can't see anything obvious and my knackered knees prevent me from doing much more.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Greyish black, seemed to come out of the ones on the top of the dashboard but I didn't have time to confirm it as I shut the levers straight away, my son thought that it smelt electrical, I've got a cold so couldn't really tell.

Sorry about the lack of detail but my reaction was to close the levers asap.

Dark smoke suggests oil/exhaust from the heat exchangers, if it was light smoke that would more likely to be electrical and dash related.
Try running it with the doors open and see if it does it again opening one lever at a time.

I ended up crawling around underneath it as much as I could today. There's greasy deposits on the outside of the heat exchangers that I could see but not really oily, more like crap thrown up from the wet roads on Saturday. Although I'm restricted a bit crawling around I couldn't see any obvious oil leaks anywhere.
If I get the chance tomorrow I'll try running it with someone there so that they can give their impression of what the smoke is like.

I'll have to wait a little while longer to do that as I've come down with some sort of bug and feel crap. I'll update this as soon as I do it.
Thanks for your help.

chad said:
I'll have to wait a little while longer to do that as I've come down with some sort of bug and feel crap. I'll update this as soon as I do it.
Thanks for your help.

Ozziedog,,,, ,,,let’s hope it’s not ‘That’ bug :mrgreen:

I've done a test and it isn't fortunately.
It looks like just a normal winter one which I thought were extinct now.

Latest posts