Gearbox Front Support - A Couple of Questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Evening Gents,

I purchased a new support mount from JK and it has raised a couple of questions:

Gearbox-Support-1.jpg

The new one has a threaded bolt on the bottom which the original did not. Does anyone know what this is for?

Gearbox-Support-2.jpg

Also, when I removed the original mount, it only had one bolt holding it, however there are 3 holes, so am I correct in thinking it is supposed to have 3 bolts and not just the one? There is clearly 3 threaded holes for 3 bolts on the rear axle, but I thought I would check just in-case it is some well known thing I don't know. :?

There should be 3 bolts securing the mount to the chassis. As for the thread pointing down, I’ve fitted several of these JK mounts and am yet to work out what it does 😂

Just guessing as I just don’t know, I’m wondering if there’s any difference on the kit style busses that came out of Australia, South Africa, and the Americas. Makes it appear to be a bracket to fit all applications. Type 3 perhaps??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, stab in the dark :mrgreen:

K@rlos said:
There should be 3 bolts securing the mount to the chassis.

Thanks for confirming the bolts to the chassis.

K@rlos said:
As for the thread pointing down, I’ve fitted several of these JK mounts and am yet to work out what it does 😂

Yeah it is strange. I thought I was over looking something obvious! Perhaps it is something to do with the production process as the original also has a hole in that position, but perhaps they used to remove the stud / thread? :?:

I might try and delete it anyway as it is a decent jacking point without it. :lol:

ozziedog said:
Just guessing as I just don’t know, I’m wondering if there’s any difference on the kit style busses that came out of Australia, South Africa, and the Americas. Makes it appear to be a bracket to fit all applications. Type 3 perhaps??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, stab in the dark :mrgreen:

Hmm, could be! I've not really looked at the other gearbox mountings in other applications / models.

You may find the mount is a bit of a tight fit to get onto the bracket on the chassis. I’ve had to persuade them intk place with a jack 😂

Glad they are finally available though, the after market just now needs to improve the quality of early bay engine mounts

K@rlos said:
You may find the mount is a bit of a tight fit to get onto the bracket on the chassis. I’ve had to persuade them intk place with a jack 😂

Yeah I did notice that when I offered it up to test fit. I might try tweaking it out slightly in the vice and a pry-bar first though as I don't want it taking off the protective paint I have just put on. :lol:

K@rlos said:
Glad they are finally available though, the after market just now needs to improve the quality of early bay engine mounts

Yeah, we are spoiled with parts really for these old things, especially compared to other car makes. Companies like JK, Heritage etc deserve a lot of credit for that, although I suppose they would not be doing it if the demand was not there! :D

Latest posts