Flywheel has come loose..... why?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 obe

Reaction score
Hi
The flywheel in my camper has came loose.
The engine is 2110cc, I used a heavy duty flywheel gland nut and tightened it to around 350 lb ft i also put some thread lock on it when I first fitted the engine a couple of years ago. I also fitted a heavy duty seal.
Recently I've had some running issues so took it into a garage and as the mechanic came out to look at the van he noticed a big oil leak. Its never leaked before, there has never been an oil patch under it before.
He removed the engine and has told me the flywheel has came loose causing it to split the seal causing the leak and he noticed some of the shims have split. Oil is also over the clutch and the gearbox oil seal has also gone.
I don't understand how the fly wheel has come loose, any ideas?
I've not done many miles in it.
Would the crankshaft be damaged?
Would a damaged crank shaft cause the flywheel to work loose?
Thanks in advance

Did you oil or loctite it? What condition are the threads in the crank and on the nut like.

Thank you for your reply.
I used loctite, I can't remember what the thread looked like on the crank as it was a few years ago now.
The nut was new, I think it was either cb performance or scat.
I haven't used it much, I've done no more then 500 miles.

Is it a CB 38mm? If so they are crap and are known for breaking and coming loose. Best gland nut out there is a Berg HD

K@rlos said:
Is it a CB 38mm? If so they are crap and are known for breaking and coming loose. Best gland nut out there is a Berg HD

I think it is a CB 38mm, that probably explains why it came loose.

Is there anywhere in the UK that sells the Berg HD gland nut and washer?

Thanks

68 obe said:
K@rlos said:

I think it is a CB 38mm, that probably explains why it came loose.

Is there anywhere in the UK that sells the Berg HD gland nut and washer?

Thanks

RJ Volksperformance. Be sure to check the crank and case as the flywheel came though

Latest posts