What size spare tyre?? And valve question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkpie

Reaction score
Hi Guys, hope everyone is well and keeping safe.
The time has come for me to get some tyres on my van and I have a dilemma about the spare. I'm going for 185r14 on the rear and 165/60/14 on the front, but what do I do about number 5??
Wheels are 5.5" all around.
Any ideas and suggestions invited.
Regards, Si.

Duplicate of the rear , It just needs to get you to / of the road and to a place of repair.
Never travel more than 30 mph and you won't kill the gearbox/ or have an unmanageable steering.

I have the same all round so.... no problem. Problems occur if you have a lowered bus.
The best then is to attempt to find a Space Saver type tyre with rim.
Not certain but I think the Porsche space saver works. Try asking " Sparkywig" on this forum.

I am sure there will be more info forthcoming.

J & P
:D :D :D

Hi J&P, thanks for the reply. The issue is the size of tyre as I already have the rim. I wasn't sure if something between the two or probably a repeat of the front as the commercial rears should be less prone to get punctured?
Regards, Si.

Hi Si,
Front usually is not a problem.Yes they are less prone.
It's the rear that has a gearing problem, that's where the problems are , hence the recommendation.

J & P

The ideal situation is two spares, one for the front and one for the rear, but this just adds weight and you need the space to carry them
But if you only carry one, in an emergency it doesn't really matter as you'll be driving slow and not far. Modern space savers don't match any wheel, but have a 50 kph (30mph) speed limit and a 50km (30 mile) range before you have to replace them.

I only really carry a spare when I do Euro trips as insurance to safely get off the carriageway. I've never needed to change a wheel on the bus in almost 40 years of driving.
But that's just jinxed it....

sparkywig said:
The ideal situation is two spares, one for the front and one for the rear, but this just adds weight and you need the space to carry them
But if you only carry one, in an emergency it doesn't really matter as you'll be driving slow and not far. Modern space savers don't match any wheel, but have a 50 kph (30mph) speed limit and a 50km (30 mile) range before you have to replace them.

I only really carry a spare when I do Euro trips as insurance to safely get off the carriageway. I've never needed to change a wheel on the bus in almost 40 years of driving.

You’ve done it now! :lol:

K@rlos said:
sparkywig said:

You’ve done it now! :lol:

That sounds like the daftest thing in the world to say. ;) Is anyone taking bets on how long before the inevitable? :lol:
My two penneth on the spare tyre thing is firstly you’ve got two different sized tyres on the front and the rear. As everyone above ^^^has said, it’s a get you to safety wheel and not necessarily a wheel / tyre to go tare assing about on :shock: So there’s not a big thing really about size apart from, will it fit where you’ve taken the smallest tyre off? I’m assuming your front are smallest, so just for peace of mind, try your rear on the front and visa versa and make sure that your biggest one is not gonna have any issues o the front. If everything else is ok, I’d go for the smaller size just to save a little space. But not a biggy either way :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Or!!! Whatever’s in the garage :mrgreen:

Lol, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll definitely try swopping the front and rear tyres about to see if there's any issues with space.
Regards, Si.

My spare is one of a pair that I bought for the front but turned out to be a bit too big and they rubbed a bit. As an emergency it’s fine and will fit front and rear to get out of trouble.
This year was the first time I had to change a tyre in 25+ years of camper driving I think. And it was flat, so don’t forget to check it :D

Had the same issue, so put my rear on the front to check. There was virtually no clearence and it rubbed at the slightest bump, so I went for a front on my spare.

Another option would be to not bother with a spare and just have one of those tyre seal inflation devices that comes with the liquid stuff and an electric inflator. Never used it so can't say how easy it it, but looks like a good compromise. Got one for my Mini when I changed the run-flats to normal ones.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Fallingoffalot , thought long and hard about that one, decided against purely because a side wall blow out /tear,
renders that useless.
Hope this never happens to anyone.

J & P

gas1man said:
Fallingoffalot , thought long and hard about that one, decided against purely because a side wall blow out /tear,
renders that useless.

J & P

Yeah good point, only issue I had was the spare tyre getting in the way a bit when me + mrs were sleeping in it during the summer. We're probably getting a tent for next year - so I can have the van to myself :D
Andy

fallingoffalot said:
gas1man said:
renders that useless.

J & P

Yeah good point, only issue I had was the spare tyre getting in the way a bit when me + mrs were sleeping in it during the summer. We're probably getting a tent for next year - so I can have the van to myself :D
Andy

A favourite amongst some peeps is to pop the spare under the van on arrival and retrieve as you load up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,if you’re not too low of course :mrgreen:

… Or even attempt to drive off with it still under the van as I so often do [emoji85][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
… Or even attempt to drive off with it still under the van as I so often do [emoji85][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it’s not just me then. However,,,, I immediately think “You Dickhead “ and know what it is without even thinking. I’ve even got to the stage now where I put the spare right by the wheel that it’ll hit first depending on if I’m driving out then it’s next to the rear and if reversing out it’s next to the front. I’ve had a few too many ‘clunks’ when attempting a regular drive off :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,not always, but sometimes :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just had a thought :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now that I’ve raised my van (praise the raised) I spose it’s possible, if I shoved it too far under, to just drive off and leave my spare there :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Now I’ll have to chain him up to the bumper :mrgreen:

Porkpie said:
Hi Guys, hope everyone is well and keeping safe.
The time has come for me to get some tyres on my van and I have a dilemma about the spare. I'm going for 185r14 on the rear and 165/60/14 on the front, but what do I do about number 5??
Wheels are 5.5" all around.
Any ideas and suggestions invited.
Regards, Si.
I think the answer lies hidden in the above advice (be last off the field at a vw gathering and you'll have a choice of spares wheels and tyres, waste water tanks, brollies and possibly some poptop canvas)

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts