Engine to Bellhousing Bolts - Lock Washers Needed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I'm getting parts together ready to mount the gearbox and engine in the bus for the first time in a long time and I found this useful post from Alex at VW Heritage explaining which fixings are required:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54064&p=451400&hilit=Bellhousing+bolts#p451400

However, do I also need lock washers? Or just normal washers?

:poke:

I can’t seem to get to that thread with the internal error shabumpkins. However, I’ve only used regular washers and torqued them up appropriately ;) Just playing you up bud :mrgreen:
The starter D bolt can be an issue getting the nut started though, but I tried something new last time and it worked a treat. I got the D bolt through and the issues I have, are as soon as I start trying to get that nuts thread to start, even though I’ve run him up and down the D bolt twenty times and it moves like a Swiss watch, so what I did was to put the bolt in, then before I allowed my fat fudgey fingers to fiddle with the nut, I slipped a decent elastic band over the bolt threads next to the tin ware and stretched it and hooked it onto something I think just above the tinware and that was enough pressure to stop my fat fudgey fingers from furking it up yet again :p :p :p You can even join a couple together if needs be just to get to hook onto something :mrgreen: Once you got him started a few threads, unhook the lacky bands and life is good :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,I liked that, worked a treat :mrgreen:

I only use plain washers as per OG VW , yup that D bolt can be a female dog . Have put masking tape on plain bit so it jambs in hole before now. thats both sides on my H block.

67panel said:
I only use plain washers as per OG VW , yup that D bolt can be a female dog . Have put masking tape on plain bit so it jambs in hole before now. thats both sides on my H block.

Thanks for confirming '67. :) 8)

sparkywig said:
https://www.buttysbits.com/?product=bb-090-12v-starter-bolt-for-use-with-new-repro-starters

Butty does some fantastic stuff. :party0021:

cunning plan said:
ozziedog said:
Just playing you up bud :mrgreen:

What do you mean?

ozziedog said:
I slipped a decent elastic band over the bolt threads next t

I'll give it a try. :D

I was playing you up about torquing those bolts, might be a bit of a struggle getting Senor Torquey Wrench in some of them places :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I know,I know, I know,,,, my jokes are rubbbbishhh :mrgreen:

I think MarCo’s tips in Airmighty magazine suggests using super glue on the d bolt . It’ll hold it for tightening but can be subsequently removed.,

Latest posts