Which spring plates please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve got 3” horseshoes on the back of my 71 bay its an early 71 and I want to change them to adjustable spring plates but not sure which ones I need. Also do I need new shocks as well any help would be great. Thanks

I believe, but I may be wrong, that there are a different number of splines after a certain date and yours unfortunately sits about smack on that date I m thinking. I’d count my splines if I were you then ring wherever you’re gonna get them and ask them what you got. I’m out in the garage later, so I’ll try and count how many there are on a 1970 then you’ll know if yours are the same as mine or if you need later ones. Bare with me because my brains are a bit frazzled (covid possibly) and so is my iPad, I may have to post somewhere else because of issues it’s having. I’ll try and remember when I get down there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,.now I got an excuse for being so forgetful :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Oh, your shocks should be fine but you may need to trim your bump stops of at least one lump, try the first one you come to :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, you are wide 5 ? :mrgreen:

Mines a 71 and I got mine from Creative engineering, 48 splines.
As Ozzie says count your first.

Thanks for the replies all. much appreciated I’ll count them first then. but I’d have thought I’d need new shocks though cause the travel is shorter but I’m useless at owt like this :oops:

montypsx said:
Thanks for the replies all. much appreciated I’ll count them first then. but I’d have thought I’d need new shocks though cause the travel is shorter but I’m useless at owt like this :oops:

You probably will. But until you set your ride height and then measure your compressed and extended lengths between top and bottom shock mounts, you won't know which length shock to buy.

Do you mean your bus was built in early 1971, or early 1971 Model Year? There is a 6 month difference.
Buses up to 1971 1/2MY (August 1970 to January-ish 1971 build) have 44 inner and 48 outer splines, buses from 1971 1/2MY have 48 inner and 52 outer splines

Sorry just realised what I’d put sparkywig. it was registered early 71 narrow stud Pattern so would have thought it would have been made late 1970 pal but now I know have many splines to count. 👍

If I want to lower it 3” same as it was on horseshoes do I get 3” adjustable spring plates or do I do it on the splines. I’m after the same look as before but making it easier to get the rear wheel off as I’m getting older and it’s getting harder 🤣🤣

Lower it on the splines so that new / adjustable spring plate is as’ closed’ as it can be then when needed you can ‘open ‘ spring plate letting it lower the wheel / hub. That’s the theory, but most get fed up with crashing about with no suspension eventually. Especially when you gets older oldy old old like me :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I’ll just leave that there. :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Latest posts